Can Photoshop convert a .PICT image from a Macintosh?

AJ
Posted By
Alan Jones
Jul 28, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a PC, I want to convert a file I got from a person with a Macintosh. The file is a .PICT.

Can Photoshop do it?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

C
Clyde
Jul 28, 2005
Alan Jones wrote:
I have a PC, I want to convert a file I got from a person with a Macintosh. The file is a .PICT.

Can Photoshop do it?

Wouldn’t it have been faster to just open Photoshop and see?

The answer is: yes.

Clyde
D
Dodo2u
Jul 28, 2005
Clyde wrote in
news::

Alan Jones wrote:

Can Photoshop do it?

Clyde

If it has to do with (not being able) reading a MAC-format disk then something like this would be needed: TransMac.

http://www.asy.com/
AJ
Alan Jones
Jul 28, 2005
I got the picture by email.
I don’t have full Photoshop yet, I have PhotoShop Elements and I do not see how it can handle this pictures.

"Clyde" <> wrote in message
Alan Jones wrote:
I have a PC, I want to convert a file I got from a person with a Macintosh.
The file is a .PICT.

Can Photoshop do it?

Clyde
AJ
Alan Jones
Jul 28, 2005
Not the case. I got it via email.

"Dodo" wrote in message
Clyde wrote in
news::

Alan Jones wrote:

Can Photoshop do it?

Clyde

If it has to do with (not being able) reading a MAC-format disk then something like this would be needed: TransMac.

http://www.asy.com/
K
KatWoman
Jul 28, 2005
"Alan Jones" wrote in message
I don’t have full Photoshop yet, I have PhotoShop Elements and I do not see how it can handle this pictures.

Alan Jones wrote:
The file is a .PICT.

Can Photoshop do it?

Clyde
usually Mac will send 2 files, one will be the actual file the other is "empty" and only used by Mac OS.
Ignore the smaller file, if your comp has any program that will open a PICT file you will be able to see it.
I don’t know if Elements has that format or not.
File formats are not dependent on the OS.
you can see jpgs and psd’s and gifs, tga etc on a Mac or PC
N
noone
Jul 29, 2005
In article <1o_Fe.158895$ says…

Can Photoshop do it?

Photoshop can handle PICT files. Unfortunately, Bridge (CS2) will not create thumbnails on a PC, only on MAC, as I found out. ThumbsPlus will do the thumbs, as will MS’s Explorer. You might want to set the File Associations (in Control Panel) to Open with PS. Now, for your later response, I do not know about Elements, but PS (PC versions) have handled PICT files for many versions. I have to convert to PICT from TIFF/PSD for one client, who does MAC video production, and have furnished this file type, since ~ 4.0.1.

Without the File Association change, Win will try and open in Apple’s QT, if installed.

Hunt
R
RSD99
Jul 29, 2005
Use IrfanView. It’s free, and a really good piece of software. www.irfanview.com

"Alan Jones" wrote in message
I have a PC, I want to convert a file I got from a person with a
Macintosh.
The file is a .PICT.

Can Photoshop do it?

C
Clyde
Jul 29, 2005
Alan Jones wrote:

Alan Jones wrote:

The file is a .PICT.

Can Photoshop do it?

Clyde

Yeah, but you aren’t going to buy the full CS2 version just to open one file – are you? If you are, then it’s a valid question.

If the suggestions of others don’t work, get one of the free file conversion apps and convert it to another format.

I just did a search on Adobe.com. All versions of Photoshop Elements supported PICT file format. If it has an extension on it, it should open in the Mac or Windows versions. (.pct, .pic, .pict) If it doesn’t have an extension, it is likely a Mac Resource file. If it’s just the resource file and not the data file part of it, there is no real data to open. Resource files are pretty small and the actual data part is a much bigger file. What size is the file?

Clyde

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections