RH
Posted By
Ralph_Howald
Aug 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I convert an image to gray scales using image>mode>gray scale it looks fine in CS but too dark in all other graphical apps (incl. PS Elements).
When I convert it using Image>Adjustments>Channel Mixer and checking monochrome it looks fine in CS and all other apps.

What’s the problem?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Aug 25, 2004
What’s the problem?

You tell us. Channel Mixer is always a better solution.
RH
Ralph_Howald
Aug 25, 2004
You’re right, but I think if a feature is available it should work properly…

Has anybody experienced the same as I have?
GB
g_ballard
Aug 25, 2004
When I convert an image to gray scales using image>mode>gray scale it
looks fine in CS but too dark in all other graphical apps (incl. PS Elements). When I convert it using Image>Adjustments>Channel Mixer and checking monochrome it looks fine in CS and all other apps.

That doesn’t make sense to me either?
What profile are you embeddeing?
What gamma did you profile your monitor (1.8, 2.2)?
Can you post your test files?
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 25, 2004
It sounds like a profiles issue, but…

Neil
PF
Peter_Figen
Aug 25, 2004
Channel Mixer gives you a neutralized RGB that is still in the same RGB space as the original document. It still has to be converted to Grayscale. Convert to Grayscale uses whatever GS profile is loaded in your Color Settings. It sounds like the GS profile you have been converting to uses a different Gamma or Dot Gain than the RGB space and monitor gamma you are using.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 25, 2004
Question is most likely answered but I thought I’d add this link to the mix:

<http://www.adobe.com/tips/phs8colorbw/main.html>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections