Kevin_R_Mead
Jan 10, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have 8 mac Pro’s running 10.4.8.
I am using Photoshop CS2 9.0.2

I get random white horizontal lines about a pixel in height and 2 or 3 inches wide in image. Happens locally opening off hard drive.

When it happens, if I close the image without saving the corruption is gone. If I save it it retains the corruption.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Jan 10, 2007
On all 8 machines???

You’re not saving over a network, are you?
KR
Kevin_R_Mead
Jan 11, 2007
Yes it happens randomly on all 8 machines.
Yes we save over a network.
But, it happens opening off a local drive.

Very strange.
B
Bernie
Jan 11, 2007
Yes we save over a network.

Avoid saving over the network. Copy files locally to work on them
KR
Kevin_R_Mead
Jan 11, 2007
The issue also happens when we copy the files locally.
And work on the locally.
B
Buko
Jan 11, 2007
Bad RAM
R
Ram
Jan 12, 2007
Bad RAM or NAV (Norton Anti Virus).
R
Ram
Jan 12, 2007
This is the boilerplate text I use in connection to saving to a network (please NOTE the part where it explains that normally, it does work, but that it is impossible to troubleshoot someone else’s network remotely, and that’s why it’s not supported by Adobe):

If you are opening files over a network or saving them to a network server, please cease and desist immediately in the event you are currently experiencing problems with one or more files. Working across a network is not supported.

See:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/322391.html>

Copy the CLOSED file from your server to your local hard disk, work on it, save it again to your local hard disk, close it, and copy the closed file back to the server.

Of course, the fact that Adobe does not support working across a network does not necessarily mean it won’t work. It should.

Adobe’s position is that there are too many variables in a network environment for them to guarantee that everything will work correctly in every network, especially given the fact that if something does not work properly, it’s probably the network’s fault, and Adobe has no way of troubleshooting your network.

If you can’t work locally, you are on your own, and if something happens, you’re on your own. If you must work from a server, make sure your network administrator is a competent professional.

When problems arise, a lot of valuable work can be lost.
KR
Kevin_R_Mead
Jan 12, 2007
I understand all the problems involved with working over a network. But, this problem happens when working on the files
locally. At first I thought it was the network but, I had a few users copy the files and work on them locally.
So does anyone have any other ideas besides ram.
I’m gonna try moving ram around and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jan 12, 2007
Kevin,

I don’t have a guess to your problem but for RAM tests on the Mac Pro just open the System Profiler > Memory > Status. If the Status is OK the chance that you have any problem in that arena is vanishingly small. The ECC RAM in Mac Pros really does constantly check itself for errors and the reports in the System Profiler are very accurate.
KR
Kevin_R_Mead
Jan 12, 2007
Thanks,
The ram says ok on all the macs.
R
Ram
Jan 12, 2007
NAV? (Norton Anti Virus)
KR
Kevin_R_Mead
Jan 12, 2007
No. We don’t use any Anti-Virus.
Never had a problem till we got the Intels.
I have 6 G5’s that this does not happen to.
B
Buko
Jan 12, 2007
That leaves Rosetta.

How much RAM on these machines?
KR
Kevin_R_Mead
Jan 12, 2007
Thats what I am thinking.

The machines have 2 gigs Ram each.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections