P
Posted By
peter
Apr 15, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know how to feather the edges on a selection. But what if I have an irregular shaped selection put on top of a colored backgroud. The edges fade to the color underneath. I would like them to fade to white. I was thinking I could make same selection with a white fill and place it in between. The problem is that when I have the original selected and then switch layers to a white layer, the edges on the white selection are feathered too. It seems like you can’t change the feathering on a selection once is has been made. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Peter

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RG
Roy G
Apr 15, 2006
"peter" wrote in message
I know how to feather the edges on a selection. But what if I have an irregular shaped selection put on top of a colored backgroud. The edges fade to the color underneath. I would like them to fade to white. I was thinking I could make same selection with a white fill and place it in between. The problem is that when I have the original selected and then switch layers to a white layer, the edges on the white selection are feathered too. It seems like you can’t change the feathering on a selection once is has been made. Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Peter

Hi.

Not quite sure what you are trying to achieve. However if my guess is correct, this might be the answer.

Make your irregular selection, and make it a layer. Make a duplicate of that layer. Take the bottom one of those 2 layers, and fill it with white. Then "Select" > "Modify" and "Expand" until the white one is just however
much larger, you want, than the top one.

That should give you your selection fading into white, which then fades into your background.

There probably will be a number of different ways of doing the same thing.

Roy G
P
peter
Apr 15, 2006
Yes, Roy, that did it. Thank you so much!

Peter
K
KatWoman
Apr 16, 2006
"peter" wrote in message
Thanks,

Peter

use the effect called outer glow on the layer, make it white, use sliders to adjust
P
peter
Apr 16, 2006
Good idea Kat, thanks!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections