beginner at photoshop: how to fade one edge on photo into a solid graphic bar

Posted By
Nov 4, 2008
I am creating a banner with a photo on the left and I want the edge of the photo to extend to the left and fade from photo to solid graphic bar. I will then be writing text in the color bar for the banner. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Nov 4, 2008
Make sure your picture is in a layer above the background color. With your picture layer selected (as you can see by the blue highlight in the layers panel), click the mask button (bottom red circle). Then, with the mask selected (see the black stroke around it’s icon in the top red circle; it is selected by default), use the gradient tool to paint the mask white to black. White reveals, black conceals. If you need to edit the picture layer, you can click the layer icon (just to the left of the mask icon in the top red circle). If you click the chain icon connecting mask and layer, you can scale/move them independently. Click back where the chain was to re-link them.

< R2ngsa0qWal0>
Nov 4, 2008
Awesome..thanks! this works perfect!
Nov 5, 2008
Or you can add a blank layer above the image layer and use the gradient tool going from a solid to transparent
Nov 5, 2008
Buko’s method would have been my choice just for its simplicity.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections