How do I round the edges on a jpeg image?

GD
Posted By
Greg_D
Jun 5, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having trouble rounding the edges of a pic. I would like to make it look like the corners of a credit card. I have received recommendations such as:

1. Open up your pic. Make sure it is not your background (either duplicate it or double-click it to create "Layer 0").

2. Select your rounded rectangle tool. On the tool palette, it is in the series of tools underneath the text tool. At the top of of your screen will be an option that says "Radius." This will control how sharp the corners are. Good settings range from 20 – 50 px (but ultimately depend on the size of your pic.).

3. Draw a rectangle over your image.

4. On the layers palette, ctrl+click (or cmd+click on Mac) on the thumbnail of the rectangle, making sure to select the thumbnail to the right of the link icon (this is the mask).

5. Once this selection is loaded, click back on your original pic on your layers palette. Then click the "add vector mask" icon at the bottom of the layers palette (it looks like a circle within a rectangle).

6. Trash your vector rectangle shape layer and voila! Rounded corners on your pic!

BUT, my layers aren’t visible on the right of the window as they are at my home computer. How can I make those visible and are the above instructions right?

Thanks for the help!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Jun 5, 2007
Greg,

Your "layers aren’t visible" comment just sounds as though the palette is currently hidden. So, from the Window menu in PS, select "Layers" and you’ll see the palette again.

The steps given sound correct, but keep in mind that even when you round the corners of your image, it still remains a an image of retangular dimensions. So, if you want to maintain a faux appearance of the area outside the rounded corners not being noticeable, then they should be of a color that blends into the background of the media on which the image is printed or incorporated.

Regards,

Daryl
T
Thundercross
Jun 5, 2007
"Aloalo – 4:37pm Jun 5, 07 PST (#2 of 3) Edited: 05-Jun-2007 at 04:39pm

Try this:
(on windows)
1)"ctrl+click" on the layer icon to make a selection of it.
2)Then goto "select–>modify–>smooth:(radius size)".
3)Then "select–>inverse".
4)Hit the "delete" key.

to set a stroke:
5)right click the layer, choose "blending options".
6)enable "stroke" and change the settings as you want."

This method works, I had the same problem as you Greg! It Works!!!
P
Phosphor
Jun 6, 2007
How will you be using this image?

Print? Web?

The JPEG file format doesn’t support transparency, so even if you round off those corners, the corners of the rectanuglar space that bounds the rounded-corner rectangle will still appear. The only way around this is to make the background the same color as a web page background, or to print on white paper.

And JPEG isn’t the best format for printing.

Sooo, answer my questions, and we’ll proceed from there.
CF
Callum_Ferguson
Jun 6, 2007
Hi Phos.
I’m intrigued by your "And JPEG isn’t the best format for printing" observation on printing, I never knew that, what format should one use for reasonable quality – well – good quality.
Thanks
Regards
Malcolm

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections