Posted By
CD
Apr 15, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
PSCS

I am trying to take a sqaure photo and create rough/torn type edges as the border. I have tired to use the filters and can not find the look I want. I want to learn CS, I have reference I how I did this in PSP7.

I did this in PSP7 by opening 2 images, a image(A) to add the effect too and the other was a Picmask.jpg(B). The picmask was a black and white image with black center and white border. Where the black and white meet it was rough/torn. I would add a mask to imageA by Mask>New>From Image.

Is there a similar way to do this in CS?

TIA
C

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Bill Hilton
Apr 15, 2005
I am trying to take a sqaure photo and create rough/torn type edges as

the border.

I did this in PSP7 by opening 2 images …
I would add a mask to imageA by Mask>New>From Image.

Yes … if the two files are the same size you can do it easily … open both files … with the image file active do Select > Load Selection and you should see an option to load a channel from the other opened image. Load it and you’ll have a mask, then do Edit > Fill and for "contents:use" you can select black or white for the borders, or any other color if you want something else.

I have tired to use the filters and can not find the look I want.

If you want to play around with this a bit and try looks other than what you have in your picmask.jpg image you can do these steps and make your own mask …

1) use the rectangular marquee tool to select the inside of the image …. the torn borders will go outside this selection … alternatively, you can add canvas with Image > Canvas size if you don’t want to "eat" too much of the image.

2) with this selection do Select > Inverse then Select > Save Selection and give it a name like "mask" or whatever … this creates a new alpha channel. Type cntrl-d to deselect.

3) go to the Channel palette and click on the last channel (the one you just made) … you can rough up the edges of this with filters to create different looks … not too bad an idea to duplicate this one and work on copies … to rough up the edges run a filter on that channel, for example try Filter > Brush Strokes > Sprayed Strokes and play with the sliders. There are about half a dozen or so filters that work well with this technique.

4) once you have it roughed up to your taste go back to the Layers palette and do Select > Load Selection and load the editted alpha channel as a mask … now do Edit > Fill as described above to create the torn edge look. If you know your images will be the same size you can make several different masks and save them off for easy access later.

Bill
TN
Tom Nelson
Apr 15, 2005
The technique is almost the same in CS. Just drag your mask into the photo image and change the blending mode to Screen. Here’s a link: http://tnphoto.com/tutor_b.html
Tom Nelson
Tom Nelson Photography

In article <425fe59b$>, CD
wrote:

PSCS

I am trying to take a sqaure photo and create rough/torn type edges as the border. I have tired to use the filters and can not find the look I want. I want to learn CS, I have reference I how I did this in PSP7.
I did this in PSP7 by opening 2 images, a image(A) to add the effect too and the other was a Picmask.jpg(B). The picmask was a black and white image with black center and white border. Where the black and white meet it was rough/torn. I would add a mask to imageA by Mask>New>From Image.

TIA
C

C
CD
Apr 15, 2005
Thank you, that is what I was wanting to do.

THANKS!
BH
Bill Hilton
Apr 15, 2005
Just drag your mask into the
photo image and change the blending mode to Screen.

Does this work if your canvas (border edge) is white in the image?
B
Brian
Apr 16, 2005
Tom Nelson wrote:
The technique is almost the same in CS. Just drag your mask into the photo image and change the blending mode to Screen. Here’s a link: http://tnphoto.com/tutor_b.html
Tom Nelson
Tom Nelson Photography

In article <425fe59b$>, CD
wrote:

Hi Tom,

Good clear tutorial. I just wanted to mention that that was the first time I have ever looked at your site. I love your work, your lighting skills are excellent.

All the best,
Brian.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections