G
Posted By
gxb101
Jul 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi everyone, I need to print large graphics with minimal loss of quality (by large, I am talking about something 6 feet by 4 feet). I know that the resolution of the image is crucial for such a task, but I had a few questions I was hoping to have answered:

1) Realistically, what resolution would I need to have my images in so I could print them out at a 6′ x 4′ size with minimal loss of quality or distortion?

2) Are there any preferred methods within Photoshop which I could use to resize my image to 6′ x 4′ and minimize all of the blurriness which comes along with it? For example, if I had a 1024 x 768 pixel image at 72 dpi, what’s the biggest size I could make this image and what’s the best way to do this?

3) Are there any good web resources which provide hi-res images for printing in the size requirements I have?

4) Finally, if I am scanning a photo, what’s the appropriate dpi I should be scanning at in order to satisfy my size requirements?

Thanks for any help!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

TD
The Doormouse
Jul 2, 2004
(George) wrote:

1) Realistically, what resolution would I need to have my images in so I could print them out at a 6′ x 4′ size with minimal loss of quality or distortion?

This depends on the intended viewing distance and the size of the original.

The Doormouse

The Doormouse cannot be reached by e-mail without her permission.
T
Tabasco1
Jul 2, 2004
I need to print large graphics with minimal loss of
quality (by large, I am talking about something 6 feet by 4 feet). I know that the resolution of the image is crucial for such a task, but I had a few questions I was hoping to have answered:

35 millimeters = 1.3781 inches wich goes in to 48 inches almost 35 times. So you need to scan at such a resolution that it can be blown up that many times! So, if you want your image to be 72 dpi really bad for printing. You need to scan at 35*72 = 2520 dpi!

Personally, I wouldn’t print less than 150 dpi so that is 35 * 150 = 5250 dpi to scan at!

Optimumly, I would suggest 300 dpi. Which is 35 times magnification by 300 dpi meaning you need to scan at 10500 dpi and be close to 899 meg!

Note useing medum format cammera would let you scan at a much lower multiple.

2) Are there any preferred methods within Photoshop which I could use to resize my image to 6′ x 4′ and minimize all of the blurriness which comes along with it?

Assuming That you decide that you want to go no holds bared and scan at 10500dpi to resize you should go under image size and remove the check from resample and then change you image size. you will notice that the resolution will drop to 300dpi and then when you click on ok it will change the print size instantly.

For example, if I had a 1024 x 768 pixel image at
72 dpi, what’s the biggest size I could make this image and what’s the best way to do this?

if you don’t mind the qualiity 8 by 10 inches.

3) Are there any good web resources which provide hi-res images for printing in the size requirements I have?
You might look for some vector images. but if you want photos the answer is no. if you are determined you can do a search for "NASA high resolution" and get some files that are large by internet standards. Not many people can afford the bandwith that NASA can.

4) Finally, if I am scanning a photo, what’s the appropriate dpi I should be scanning at in order to satisfy my size requirements?

See the answer for number one.

Charles
Torrance, California
http://www.tcpslashipdomains.com

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections