JH
Posted By
Jules_Hammond-Casablancas
Oct 19, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi. I posted a msg about this a little while ago about a much larger graphic that I am going to ask about now, but if I design a 30×36 poster, am i able to create this at 1/3rd the size at 300dpi & have the printer output it at 300%?

I am wondering if it will maintain the quality or if I should just design it in PS at 30×36 at 100%. Working in PS 7.0.

Does this method of designing at 1/3rd the size work with smaller graphics like say letter size or something also?

Thanks.

Jules

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JM
J_Maloney
Oct 19, 2008
1/3rd the size at 300dpi

If you can keep vector elements in your design as vector, 100 effective ppi will be fine. If you cannot, I would shoot for 300 ppi (meaning 30 x 36 @ 300 ppi).

Does this method of designing at 1/3rd the size work with smaller graphics like say letter size or something also?

Sure. But why would you work this way is one question.

J
JH
Jules_Hammond-Casablancas
Oct 20, 2008
That is the way I was taught by a photographer/printer/designer for large graphics. I was just wondering if it worked the same way for smaller sized ones.

I am not really working with much vector on this tho so I guess I’ll just have to do it 30×36 at 300ppi.
Thanks.
TH
Trez_Hane
Oct 20, 2008
Jules, I suggest you ask your printer what is the optimum/preferred resolution at print size. That is the only good solution. Where print is concerned, a little consultation can prevent a world of trouble.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections