P
Posted By
Pixelhead
Apr 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just recently purchased a 4 megapixel camera (Canon S400) and my question is re saving photos to my hard drive from the flash card. When I open the photos in PS8 and select "Image size" the default resolution that the photos are saved at is 180 ppi and the pixel dimensions are 2272 by 1704. I have been told that the first thing I should do is change the resolution to 300 ppi with the "Constrain proportions" and "Resample image" boxes ticked. Then to scale the photo to a reasonable size in the range of 20cm by 15cm again with the same 2 boxes ticked. Only then should photo correction begin. I would welcome anybody’s input. TIA

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

S
Stephan
Apr 14, 2004
"Pixelhead" wrote in message
I have just recently purchased a 4 megapixel camera (Canon S400) and my question is re saving photos to my hard drive from the flash card. When I open the photos in PS8 and select "Image size" the default resolution that the photos are saved at is 180 ppi and the pixel dimensions are 2272 by 1704. I have been told that the first thing I should do is change the resolution to 300 ppi with the "Constrain proportions" and "Resample
image"
boxes ticked. Then to scale the photo to a reasonable size in the range of 20cm by 15cm again with the same 2 boxes ticked. Only then should photo correction begin. I would welcome anybody’s input. TIA

PPI doesn’t mean anything to your computer.
see http://tinyurl.com/2lrup
or
www.scantips.com

Stephan
N
nomail
Apr 14, 2004
Pixelhead wrote:

I have just recently purchased a 4 megapixel camera (Canon S400) and my question is re saving photos to my hard drive from the flash card. When I open the photos in PS8 and select "Image size" the default resolution that the photos are saved at is 180 ppi and the pixel dimensions are 2272 by 1704. I have been told that the first thing I should do is change the resolution to 300 ppi with the "Constrain proportions" and "Resample image" boxes ticked. Then to scale the photo to a reasonable size in the range of 20cm by 15cm again with the same 2 boxes ticked. Only then should photo correction begin. I would welcome anybody’s input. TIA

If you set the image at 300 dpi, you will already end up with 20 x 15 cm dimensions. You do NOT need to resample anything, so leave that option UNCHECKED. However, there is no reason why you should do that first and before you do any other image editting. You can do it any time you want, because it doesn’t change anything in the picture itself. It only changes the size the image is PRINTED, nothing else.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
L
larrybud2002
Apr 14, 2004
"Pixelhead" …

No, the DPI is meaningless when color correcting. It’s only involved in final dimensions when printing.

Just open the file, do your color correcting, then if you’re going to print it, turn OFF Resample Image, and enter your desired print width. The smaller the width, the higher the resolution (pixels wide / dpi = print width in inches)
F
Flycaster
Apr 14, 2004
I have just recently purchased a 4 megapixel camera (Canon S400) and my question is re saving photos to my hard drive from the flash card. When I open the photos in PS8 and select "Image size" the default resolution that the photos are saved at is 180 ppi and the pixel dimensions are 2272 by 1704. I have been told that the first thing I should do is change the resolution to 300 ppi with the "Constrain proportions" and "Resample
image"
boxes ticked. Then to scale the photo to a reasonable size in the range of 20cm by 15cm again with the same 2 boxes ticked. Only then should photo correction begin. I would welcome anybody’s input. TIA

Interesting question for someone with your screen name, but the simple answer is "no." Do your basic correction first, then resize as necessary; the only major exception to this would be final file sharpening. Moreover, changing the file resolution is only important with respect to printing. not saving the file (check it out ~ the file size remains the same.)
P
Pixelhead
Apr 15, 2004
Thank you to all those who took the time to reply and help. A special note for Flycaster, yes, it is an unfortunate screen name for someone inexperienced in digital imaging. It was a joke perpetrated by a friend who built my system for me. By the way, shouldn’t you be in a fishing newsgroup somewhere?

"Flycaster" wrote in message
I have just recently purchased a 4 megapixel camera (Canon S400) and my question is re saving photos to my hard drive from the flash card. When
I
open the photos in PS8 and select "Image size" the default resolution
that
the photos are saved at is 180 ppi and the pixel dimensions are 2272 by 1704. I have been told that the first thing I should do is change the resolution to 300 ppi with the "Constrain proportions" and "Resample
image"
boxes ticked. Then to scale the photo to a reasonable size in the range
of
20cm by 15cm again with the same 2 boxes ticked. Only then should photo correction begin. I would welcome anybody’s input. TIA

Interesting question for someone with your screen name, but the simple answer is "no." Do your basic correction first, then resize as necessary; the only major exception to this would be final file sharpening.
Moreover,
changing the file resolution is only important with respect to printing.
not
saving the file (check it out ~ the file size remains the same.)
P
Pixelhead
Apr 15, 2004
Thank you to all those who took the time to reply and help. A special note for Flycaster, yes, it is an unfortunate screen name for someone inexperienced in digital imaging. It was a joke perpetrated by a friend who built my system for me. By the way, shouldn’t you be in a fishing newsgroup somewhere? (Just kidding!)

"Flycaster" wrote in message
I have just recently purchased a 4 megapixel camera (Canon S400) and my question is re saving photos to my hard drive from the flash card. When
I
open the photos in PS8 and select "Image size" the default resolution
that
the photos are saved at is 180 ppi and the pixel dimensions are 2272 by 1704. I have been told that the first thing I should do is change the resolution to 300 ppi with the "Constrain proportions" and "Resample
image"
boxes ticked. Then to scale the photo to a reasonable size in the range
of
20cm by 15cm again with the same 2 boxes ticked. Only then should photo correction begin. I would welcome anybody’s input. TIA

Interesting question for someone with your screen name, but the simple answer is "no." Do your basic correction first, then resize as necessary; the only major exception to this would be final file sharpening.
Moreover,
changing the file resolution is only important with respect to printing.
not
saving the file (check it out ~ the file size remains the same.)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections