AT
Posted By
Allison_Tenn
Jan 19, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to create a large banner at 300 cm (W) x 250cm (H) (about 118 x 98 inches). I am trying to figure out the best way to do this…

-is it correct that I can have my document be scaled down proportionately and still get a quality print as long as the PPI and pixel resolution are high enough?
-assuming this is the case and I scale my document down to 10% at 30x25cm, will 300ppi be acceptable when it’s enlarged for printing? or do I need to increase the ppi and to what?
-i am using several 300ppi images in the banner. do they need to be the same ppi as the banner document? do i need to resample/increase their ppi or resolution prior to placing them in my document?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Jan 19, 2007
Allison,

Why do you want to "scale down" the document to 10%? Just resize the final image with "resample" UNchecked. this will leave intact all pixels.

Check what the resolution then is. If it’s below 80 ppi, you might consider ressing it up.

Rob
AT
Allison_Tenn
Jan 19, 2007
I wanted to use a smaller document size just so it would not take so long to load etc. – the hi-res images slow it down enough. i can send it to the printer in a smaller document as long as the proportions are the same, right?

also, if I’m enlarging, wouldn’t I want to resample? I was wrong – some of the images are less than 300 ppi.. am I correct in assuming I should resample if i’m increasing the ppi? (but not if i’m increasing the SIZE of a pic that’s already 300 ppi?)
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Jan 19, 2007
If the image is large, take use of it. It’s absolute nonsense to reduce an image for loading time’s sake, and subsequently regret the fact that the document might not retain print resolution/quality anymore.

Take the high resolution version to the printer, I would say.

Rob
BG
barry_gray
Jan 19, 2007
Stop!
Contact your printer first!
Printing banners of that size could require only 50ppi ! You need to work with the printer.
DU
Daniel_Ulysses
Jan 19, 2007
Hola Allison

I’m doing the same sizes banners, and the only way to work at 300ppi is by saving portions of your file.
For example, if I have the background that I want, then I save a PSD file of the background in layers, and one flat. Then I make the art work that I need in another file, and do the same, (save one file in layers and one flat)
When I have what I need, then I just "sandwich" both flat layers in a new file, save a PDF, and whenever I have any chance, save it in a CD, and take it myself to the shop. If you need to send it by email, then save a large as you can jpeg, and send it. Most of the big shops has a FTP server where you can unload big files 45, 90, 120 Mags

The only time that I allowed the shop owner to modify my art work, is if I know who is going to do it. Most shops, won’t do it free, and it’s not the money but only "you" should work in your file.

Good luck

Daniel Ulysses
AT
Allison_Tenn
Jan 22, 2007
confirmed that it should indeed be 300ppi. Rob – if my document and all the images in it are all 300ppi, does the SIZE matter? if the printer scales it larger without resampling, won’t the images all still be hi-res? someone suggested i do it this way but i just want to confirm it will work..
B
Bernie
Jan 22, 2007
does the SIZE matter?

YES!

if the printer scales it larger without resampling, won’t the images all still be hi-res?

No.

Twice the size, half the resolution.
AT
Allison_Tenn
Jan 22, 2007
ok, thanks. just one more thing – say i drag a large hi-res image into my document, then use the transform controls to scale it down to the size i want. does scaling it this way reduce image quality at all? if not, will the quality be retained if I enlarge it again with the transform controls?
C
chrisjbirchall
Jan 22, 2007
The fewer times you resize (up or down) the better. Each time the image is interpolated, fine detail will be lost and the quality degraded.
B
Bernie
Jan 23, 2007
does scaling it this way reduce image quality at all?

Yes.

if not, will the quality be retained if I enlarge it again with the transform controls?

No.
RK
Ronald Keller
Jan 24, 2007
if not, will the quality be retained if I enlarge it again with the transform controls?

Yes IF you made it a smart object first…

Ronald

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections