Believably increasing video resolution in AE (Photshop related)

F
Posted By
Franklin
Oct 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Greets all,

For a number of years now I’ve been working with various methods and practices to "increase" the resolution of images in Photoshop. Although there is no real increase in resolution (pixels added), you can sure make it look darn good. Genuine fractals is one method. A little known but (sometimes) even better method of increasing the image size with little loss of resolution is the "stair" method … in which the image is resized in minute "steps" rather than one big image resize. Fred Miranda even has a specific PS plugin for this. The results can be quite satisfactory.

To the point: I often find myself having to increase the size of a video clip in AE from around 320×240 (or 352×240) to 640×480 or even 720×480.

As they say in Photoshop (or any graphics application for that matter), when upscaling an image, it’s not about adding more resolution/detail, but to trick the eye into PERCEIVING more resolution and detail.

The question: Are there similar techniques that can be used in AE to resize the video clip but with little loss of perceived resolution? I’ve been searching for on this subject for months and surprisingly finding very little. But it stands to reason that if it can be done in PS, it can be done in AE, but once again, I’ve seen very little on the subject. The only thing I could possibly think of (which would be a horror to do in actual practice) would be to export video clips (some of them being very long) out of Premiere Pro as numbered stills … import and batch process all of them in PS …. and then import the image sequence back into AE or Premiere. This would work, only I wouldn’t have years to wait for the rendering.

Any feedback/advice/comments much appreciated

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

PR
Pete Rissler
Oct 16, 2004
"Franklin" wrote in message
Greets all,

For a number of years now I’ve been working with various methods and practices to
"increase" the resolution of images in Photoshop. Although there is no real increase
in resolution (pixels added), you can sure make it look darn good. Genuine fractals
is one method. A little known but (sometimes) even better method of increasing the
image size with little loss of resolution is the "stair" method … in which the
image is resized in minute "steps" rather than one big image resize. Fred Miranda
even has a specific PS plugin for this. The results can be quite satisfactory.

To the point: I often find myself having to increase the size of a video clip in AE
from around 320×240 (or 352×240) to 640×480 or even 720×480.
As they say in Photoshop (or any graphics application for that matter), when
upscaling an image, it’s not about adding more resolution/detail, but to trick the
eye into PERCEIVING more resolution and detail.

The question: Are there similar techniques that can be used in AE to resize the video
clip but with little loss of perceived resolution? I’ve been searching for on this
subject for months and surprisingly finding very little. But it stands to reason that
if it can be done in PS, it can be done in AE, but once again, I’ve seen very little
on the subject. The only thing I could possibly think of (which would be a horror to
do in actual practice) would be to export video clips (some of them being very long)
out of Premiere Pro as numbered stills … import and batch process all of them in PS
… and then import the image sequence back into AE or Premiere. This would work,
only I wouldn’t have years to wait for the rendering.

Any feedback/advice/comments much appreciated

For video, the best upsizing I’ve seen is using VirtualDub with the resize filter. There are 4 bicubic and 1 Lanczos3 resampling options.

http://www.virtualdub.org/index

Pete Rissler
http://web1.greatbasin.net/~rissler/
http://www.tccycling.com
F
Franklin
Oct 16, 2004
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:07:14 -0700, "Pete Rissler" wrote:

For video, the best upsizing I’ve seen is using VirtualDub with the resize filter. There are 4 bicubic and 1 Lanczos3 resampling options.

Thank you Pete. I’ve used VirtualDub before, although not extensively, but was not aware it had these resizing algorithms. I’ll give it a shot.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections