PK
Posted By
Philip_Kaszerman
Oct 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I mix real oil paint with some white and some black and then barely stir, I get a mixture which is not uniform. A brush stroke shows lines of black and white. The lines merge with the main color and are not of uniform width. Even without mixing any black and white, the undercoating shows through on a brush stroke. On the other hand, brushstrokes with Photoshop are a uniform flat color. How, can I achieve a "painterly" brush stroke with Photoshop?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

T
Terrat
Oct 27, 2003
I take it you want to do it yourself; rather than use filters.

What if you used the smudge tool without adding colour to an already coloured palette. (re: Fill= 0)
This would allow you to mix like a palette knife. Striations and mixes would occur depending on your brush size, pressure, and type of motion…lines, swirls, etc. on whatever colour you had already blocked down.

I’m sure there are web tutorials on this subject so try google.
CS
Carol_Steele
Oct 27, 2003
Have a look at the ‘Artic Ice’ filter from the Paint Engine set of filter from Fantastic Machines
(http://www.fantasticmachines.com/download-tc.htm)
Paint Engine is donation-ware software, all they ask is a small donation if you find it useful.

Carol
(Posted from the UK)
KN
Ken_Nielsen_
Oct 27, 2003
For the most ‘Painterly’ result: Do your illustration using real oils on canvas. Using a copy stand set-up, photograph the finished illustration, then drum-scan the 8 x 10 transparency into a file which you can then open in Photoshop.

Sometimes you just can’t beat the real thing.
JH
Jake_Hannam
Oct 28, 2003
You could also try Corel Painter. This is not a Photoshop plugin but Painter is supposed to provide the closest thing to a real canvas as Ken suggests above. There are an almost infinite number of brushes and canvases and effects you can use in Painter.

Jake
O
Ol__Whozit
Oct 28, 2003
If you don’t want to spend more money, and you don’t want to do it in "real time," you’ll just have to experiment…

Here is a thread about the same topic, with some good suggestions and examples:

www.photoshoptechniques.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&thre ad=4504&highlight=photo+to+painting
KN
Ken_Nielsen_
Oct 28, 2003
Cool link.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections