DC
Posted By
d_cole
Mar 24, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In Photoshop CS4 the paint deposited by a brushstroke by a Wacom Intuos3 pen tool intermittently and unpredictably just stops mid-stroke after some while of a continuos stroke. This is a real problem when making simulated watercolor washes because these require a continuos application of paint using a brush with Wet Edges. When the paint just stops and the pen tool is removed from contact and then re-contacted, the paint starts again but now the new brushstroke sits on top of the old stroke and does not merge into it (as you want with a watercolor wash).

No brush controls are set to Fade and in any case the ink-stopping happens well into the continuos stroke – much later than a Fade control would affect it.

I’d be grateful for advice on how to stop this happening, please. Why is the paint flow just stopping? Is this a known problem with CS4?

CS4 is fine in other respects.

System: Intuos 3 with Grip Pen and latest driver; Vista Ultimate 64 bit; Photshop CS4 64 bit; Q9550 cpu; 8 Gb ram; x2 WD velociraptor hdds; ATI Gigabyte 4850 graphics card with 1 Gb ram and 9.3 driver; Asus Xonar D2X sound card.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MR
Mark_Reynolds
Mar 24, 2009
Sounds to me like a driver issue, or a mechanical fault with the tablet. Also do a search for Wacom under this Windows forum, I seem to remember some people had issues with CS4 and wacom drivers.

Is the cable to your Intuos OK? Is the USB plugged in properly and directly to the mac?
DC
d_cole
Mar 24, 2009
Thanks. Yes, the pen not working at all has been reported in the Wacom forum and the suggestion made to use the earlier 4.93 driver instead of the most recent one. I have not tried this myself but some who have say that it does not help, and in any case, CS4 does not like the older driver.

The suggestion I got when I raised this in the Wacom forum – my first port of call – was that it was a Photoshop brush controls issue. But I don’t think it is.

It’s infuriating because you can get a long way into a wash using a continuous stroke and suddenly the paint just stops. Never happened in CS3.

I suppose it could be a hardware issue but it is odd that it happens in the same circumstances each time.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Mar 24, 2009
No, its more likely a driver issue than a hardware fault. You may find that you have to go back to CS3 for a while until Wacom update the drivers again
DC
d_cole
Mar 24, 2009
Thanks. yes, maybe that’s the answer…or wait for Intuos4!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections