Y
Posted By
YrbkMgr
Jan 7, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need to use a brush to create Japanese style brush strokes – like Japanese calligraphy as exemplified in the link below.

<http://img399.imageshack.us/my.php?image=japanesecalms6.jpg>

Can I create a brush from scratch to do this? If so, can I get an assist on some settings? I’ve played around for about an hour but I keep varying too many things.

Thoughts?

Peace,
Tony

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

G
Gener
Jan 8, 2009
I know Photoshop comes with a set of calligraphic brushes. Have you looked at those? I don’t have a pressure tablet,so I’m not sure if they are close to what you need.
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 8, 2009
TONY!!! happy new year mate!
Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 8, 2009
Gener, thanks. I looked and looked – pain in the butt. I guess I’ll have to keep looking.

Dave, thank you ma man. What a long strange trip it’s been….
G
Gener
Jan 8, 2009
Ok,Tony…if I find anything I’ll drop it by. 🙂
Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 8, 2009
All I can seem to find is pre-drawn strokes. What I need is a setting, I think, that gives the appearance of a wet stroke and tails off, with possibly some scattering.

Take a look at this:

< http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aikidostrokezk4.jpg>

That’s what I’m trying to do with a brush – to paint in that fashion.

Any ideas?
G
Gener
Jan 8, 2009
Ok,I’ve looked at the picture you uploaded.

Hmmm… maybe Photoshop’s wet media brush set can give you something to work with. There’s a #54 Rough Dry brush there that can give the effect,but you may have to go over the parts you want wet. If it’s a few Chinese characters,then it shouldn’t be too much work.

An alternate would be to use a wet brush,then apply the "dry brush" to the eraser tool for effect.

Yeah,there should be a brush that can mimic a sumi-e brush,but I haven’t found it.
P
Phosphor
Jan 8, 2009
Painter, yes, if you already have it, can devote the time to get it sussed, and can make it do what you want.

More funner and more cheaper: Real ink. Real brushes. Real vellum. Scanner.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Jan 8, 2009
Happy new year, Tony!

Rob
O
OldBob
Jan 8, 2009
In the Brush Presets (in CS3), directly under Size Jitter is a drop down menu that defaults to Pen Pressure. Change that to Fade and play with the percentage and I believe the brush will trail off like you want.

That’s one part of wht you wanted, anyway. I’ll look for more of it.
CF
chris_farrell
Jan 8, 2009
Like Oldbob states……

Try this:

Choose a natural brush ( with bristles etc )

Shape Dynamics:

Size jitter: 0%
Ctrl: Pen Tilt

Min dia: 0

Tilt scale: 200%

Angle jitter: 0
Ctrl: off

Roundness jitter:0%
Ctrl: off

Flip x and Y jitter unchecked

Other Dynamics:

Opacity jitter: 0%
Ctrl: Pen Pressure

Flow jitter: 0%
Ctrl: Fade @ 1000

You may need to tweak but that should be a start for you.

Chris
JJ
John Joslin
Jan 8, 2009
I can’t add to the brush tips but I can to the New Year wishes.

Have a good one! 🙂
Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 8, 2009
Well first of all, thanks to old friends for the well wishes in this new year. Maybe this year will be better than the last (Counting Crows).

The tips posted regarding the brush settings helped quite a bit. I found that if I created a circular path and stroked that path with a brush, I was able to vary parameters and judge their effect in a more consistent manner. That was a big help.

While I’m still not 100% happy with my results so far, it DID lead me to thoughts on creating a new brush shape that, in concert with the Flow control may help me achieve the desired effect.

So thanks a ton – I can always rely on this forum to be of absolute top notch help.

Peace,
Tony
RH
Rob_Hav
Jan 8, 2009
Illustrator has some pretty good brushes that mimic what you’re looking for, if you want to take that route…

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=113bEHJYGNcP1cExo3 MjgTNwLDB90>
Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 9, 2009
Very nice suggestion Rob. Thank you.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections