Posted By
craig_mullins
Nov 13, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all,

When using the painting tools (and selection tools) there is a slight pause as the watch cursor shows up for a brief instant. I assume that PS is updating previews and writing undo buffers and so on.

1) As I paint with PS as my primary use, this slight delay and flashing cursor is running me nuts and ruining the flow of painting.

2) PS7 does not do this.

3) I remember a previous version of PS did this, but it was resolved in the point release. I was on a mac then, now a PC. My PC specs are very current and have no other problems.

Does anyone have a work around, or remember the previous fix?

Thanks,

c

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Nov 13, 2003
Hi! are you sure that the file browser is not running? It uses a lot of resources to build its cache and high quality previews.

You can set it to build its database on all sub-folders of your images disks before you go to bed… That way, it shouldn’t bother you anymore…
CM
craig_mullins
Nov 14, 2003
Thanks for the idea Pierre, I tried it, no difference. I don’t use the browser at all, it is closed and background processing is turned off in browser prefs.

Tried turning off previews in layers and mask palettes, and everything else I could think of.

A shame, but I have to go back to PS7.
RO
Rob_Offen
Nov 14, 2003
try closing the histogram window, that solved it for me with the pencil tool.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Nov 14, 2003
Craig, are you working on 16bit files? Are you working on a filesize greater than 30.000pixels? Does it happen with all brush sizes?

I guess that a professional like you is more than aware of the optimal configuration of Photoshop for best performance… your scratch disk is on another partition than the windows swap file…

What’s strange is that I don’t remind someone else reporting the same issue…

You could list the file info (without your serial number, of course, and without the plug-ins) so that one engineer might find where is the problem, or try to re-create it…
CM
craig_mullins
Nov 15, 2003
Ahh! the histogram was it! Thanks a million times, you made my day!

c

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections