Sep 29, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
<http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/main.html>

Is this the long awaited PS 8?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RO
Robert Oliver
Sep 29, 2003
Yes, Photoshop CS is the next version of Photoshop ("Photoshop 8").
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
Ian Lyons "IS CS v. 8.0?" 9/29/03 4:52am </cgi-bin/webx?13/0>
NB
Norbert Bissinger
Sep 29, 2003
No big thing.
Looks like a step backward.
RO
Robert Oliver
Sep 29, 2003
Looks like a step backward.

In what way?
NB
Norbert Bissinger
Sep 29, 2003
Too many features for home users like picture matching.
The good side is 16 bits. Perhaps the text on a path.
LT
Lamar Thomas
Sep 29, 2003
If you need Camera RAW and never forked over the $99 for it, at least it comes included in this bunch. I guess I’m lucky my 10D wasn’t supported by camera raw as I just saved myself some money. ๐Ÿ™‚

Rob
NB
Norbert Bissinger
Sep 29, 2003
Because Canon did not supply the files to Adobe, shame on Canon and Canons Software stinks. I use Breezbrowser for my Canons/
LT
Lamar Thomas
Sep 29, 2003
Honestly, I don’t think we’ll ever know who was really to blame — Canon will say Adobe and Adobe will say Canon. I think the original RAW plug-in was a one time deal that Adobe never intended to upgrade. My question would now be — are they planning on adding new cameras to this plug-in in the future or would we have to wait for the next update to Photoshop before they are made available?

Rob
K
Kathy
Sep 29, 2003
I was reading the article about the new version and it mentioned converting square pixels to round ones. Can somebody explain how that’s done, please?
NB
Norbert Bissinger
Sep 29, 2003
Who knows.

It also looks like they droped the PSD files and have now an other one called cs.

BTW all upgrades are called now CS. What does this stand for?
DJ
dennis johnson
Sep 29, 2003
Better support for 16-bit is welcome. And at long last we can stop seeing the posts here asking about text on a path. That might be worth 180 bucks in itself.

Norbert, the CS stands for "Creative Suite", as Adobe wants you to think of Photoshop as just one of the many apps they want to sell you, but when I was growing up, "CS" meant something quite different – related to poultry. I doubt if the guys at Adobe thought of that though…
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
Who knows

I’m sure this question will be addressed shortly.

BTW: you don’t wake up in the morning, decide to include a new model before lunch and release the update by bedtime. It requires a LOT of testing! It requires a LOT of fine tuning!
B
Bernie
Sep 29, 2003
Dennis…so, what kind of feathers are those on the box? ๐Ÿ™‚

Maybe this is a new kind of Easter egg hunt?
DJ
dennis johnson
Sep 29, 2003
Hmmmm….
TH
Tina Hayes
Sep 29, 2003
Text on a path!! Woot!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Output swf from IR!! Cool!!

Custom picture packages!!! Whooooooooo!!!!

I want it, and I want it NOW!!!

(Unfortunately I probably won’t get it ’till Christmas :()
JC
Jay Chevako
Sep 29, 2003
what kind of feathers are those on the box? ๐Ÿ™‚

Makes you wonder what C.S. Really stands for.
Jay
RH
r_harvey
Sep 29, 2003
Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop CS requirements:

Microsoftยฎ Windowsยฎ 2000 with Service Pack 3 or Windows XP Mac OS X v.10.2

No support for Windows98.
BL
Bob Levine
Sep 29, 2003
No support for Windows98.

What for? Even MS doesn’t support Win98 anymore.

Bob
TH
Tina Hayes
Sep 29, 2003
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! ๐Ÿ™ ๐Ÿ™ ๐Ÿ™

I’m still running ’98 I’m used to it. Does this mean I won’t be able to run the upgrade????????

Chris Cox where are you????
BL
Bob Levine
Sep 29, 2003
Does this mean I won’t be able to run the upgrade????????

Yes.

Chris Cox where are you????

IMO, you’re not going to get an ounce of sympathy from Chris. I’m pretty sure that if it were up to him, Adobe would have dropped support for Win9x a long long time ago.

Bob
M
moyoungerman
Sep 29, 2003
SK
Shawn Kenney
Sep 29, 2003
Has anyone here had the luxury of being a beta-tester for Photoshop CS? With swf support added to IR, I was curious if it supported existing LM files.
BL
Bob Levine
Sep 29, 2003
There’s already a thread discussing this. What’s your point?

Bob
TH
Tina Hayes
Sep 29, 2003
Damn!!! Well I’m NOT buying XP….guess I’ll look into 2000. I *Hate* giving Micro$haft my money.
BL
Bob Levine
Sep 29, 2003
You do know that Win2K is also produced my Microsoft, don’t you?

Bob
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
Yes. And the thought of yet another Windows upgrade, and the months of tweaking and getting rid of the bloated crap that nobody wants or needs make me sick. ๐Ÿ™
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
Ditto.
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
From my experience, a clean install (NO UPGRADES) of either XP or 2K will give you a rock solid machine.

Bob
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
And you have no moral issues with acting as a supporter of an anti-competitive, convicted predatory monopolist, who stifles innovation instead of fostering it?

Edit: changed "shill for" to "supporter of"
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
I’m no shill. I’m merely stating a fact. You want rock solid in an operating system, then XP or 2K are the only way to go.

You’re simply acting like the rest of the paranoid MS hating people out there that give the company no credit whatsoever. You blame MS for everyting from world hunger to global warming. There are worse people running around than Bill Gates. But there’s no sense in mentioning that because like the rest of the anti-MS sheep that are running around your mind will never be changed.

So, be my guest. Stick with Win98 or jump on over to Mac. Either way is fine with me. I’ll stick with what works.

Bob
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
…like the rest of the anti-MS sheep that are running around your mind will never be changed.

This sheep’s mind was changed. That’s why I say baaaaaaaaa.

As your freedom of choice is eliminated, upgrades and patches are forced, and DRM drives you up the wall, I hope you enjoy the party.
LR
Levine, Robert
Sep 29, 2003
Just exactly how many operating systems do you thing the industry can support? If Linux were truly a viable commercial O/S than Adobe, Macromedia would have ported all of their apps to it. In fact look at what happened to Corel when they did try it.

It won’t and can’t work. This is a pie that just can’t be cut into pieces. Deal with it.

Bob
RH
r_harvey
Sep 29, 2003
Just exactly how many operating systems do you thing the industry can support?

Before MS forced them out, there were many. I don’t think killing competition is the way natural selection in software development is supposed to work. All software does not have to run on every operating system.

If Linux were truly a viable commercial O/S than Adobe, Macromedia would have ported all of their apps to it.

As you know, Adobe ported FrameMaker to Linux a few years ago. That was too early, and paying customers weren’t there (there is a chicken/egg problem with Linux). Unfortunately, nobody who was using Linux in 1999 was willing to pay for software. Today, it’s quite different, with major corporations (like Ford) and countries moving to it, and most motion picture production moving to it.

In fact look at what happened to Corel when they did try it.

In fact, look at what happened to Corel whenever they tried (past tense) anything at all.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 29, 2003
I don’t care. I just saw the little new features tour. I want it. I want it now. I’ll install it on 98. If it doesn’t work, I’ll buy XP. This upgrade is too friggin compelling.

And there’s a guy in the feature requests forum who is contstantly bashing Adobe for "not listening". Let’s see, text on a path, customizable keys, all new historgram representation, match color. I dunno – they’re listening.

I’m totally stoked about this upgrade. BUT, I’m going to hang back a bit and watch "the wire" to see what folks say – no matter how badly I want it now <grin>.
LR
Levine, Robert
Sep 29, 2003
All software does not have to run on every operating system.

No, but all commercially viable software does.
If Linux were truly a viable commercial O/S than Adobe, Macromedia would have ported all of their apps to it.

Today, it’s quite different, with major corporations (like Ford) and countries moving to it, and most motion picture production moving to it.

Maybe for very specialized applications. It just won’t work, IMO, for mainstream apps.

Bob
RH
r_harvey
Sep 29, 2003
No, but all commercially viable software does.

So many exceptions, so little time.

Maybe for very specialized applications. It just won’t work, IMO, for mainstream apps.

Most Adobe stuff is specialized. While the rest of the computer world is reaching common ground, MS is painting their non-sheep customers into an ever tighter corner.
LR
Levine, Robert
Sep 29, 2003
I think at this point we should just agree to disagree.

Bob
RH
r_harvey
Sep 29, 2003
I think at this point we should just agree to disagree.

Well, I think that’s just wrong, and momentarily I’ll post bulleted lists and tables and charts explaining why…
MS
McCoy, Stuart
Sep 29, 2003
r_harvey,

You remind me of those conforming non-conformists form high school. I still see their ilk around in the subways and downtown areas where they like to congregate. They were so anti-establishment that they created their own culture that only those like them could be a part. OSS is simply a geek’s culture created with these exact same motivating factors and problems associated with such a culture. You want to be a conforming non-conformist and use Linux? Great. Please quit trying to convert everyone else and their mother. You’re worse than the Mormons that pester you on the bus or knock on your door.
CC
Cox, Chris
Sep 29, 2003
No sympathy on 98 — it’s buggy, and it’s no longer supported by Microsoft. We had to drop it. I would strongly recommend upgrading (do a clean install ๐Ÿ˜‰ to XP.

As for "consumer" features — we always have to balance features for all types of customers. But the match color feature is more useful for professionals than consumers. In fact, I think this version of Photoshop is a little light on consumer level features.
OR
Oliver, Robert
Sep 29, 2003
OSS is simply a geek’s culture created with these exact same motivating factors and problems associated with such a culture.

I’ve noticed that the Open Source community is very open to its own ideas, and extremely close-minded about everything else.

It’s odd that a community so hung-up about freedom of choice doesn’t seem interested in allowing people to have their own opinion if that opinion goes against the Open Source model.

I choose Windows XP. I like it. It works. It’s stable. I have no problems with Adobe embracing XP and abandoning support for the aging Windows 98, just like they are embracing OSX and not supporting previous Mac operating systems. It’s time to move forward.
CC
Cox, Chris
Sep 29, 2003
You guys really need to read the full "whats new" PDF file instead of just browsing the top ten bullet points.
LR
Levine, Robert
Sep 29, 2003
Chris,

I hope you’re not referring to me. I think you guys did a tremendous job.

Bob
HP
Help, Photo
Sep 29, 2003
Chris,

I can’t wait to see the first post with someone complaining about the 300,000 x 300,000 pixel "limitation".

It looks like you wanted to make sure the old 30,000 x 30,000 topic never came up again!
MS
McCoy, Stuart
Sep 29, 2003
Chris,

PS, AI and ID all seem to be very compelling upgrades that I will have by year’s end. I’m still on the fence about GL and I’ll wait to see what Adobe’s official statement about Dynamic Content is before I decide. Nested Layer sets, the Filter Gallery, Teaxt on a Path, Shadows/Highlights and Crop and Straighetn are all great reasons to upgrade. Robert’s right, you guys did a tremendous job on this version and I am looking forward to giving it a spin.
CC
Cox, Chris
Sep 29, 2003
Photo – I’ve already had one complaint: from a 3 letter agency in the Washington DC metro area….
LR
Levine, Robert
Sep 29, 2003
Were they looking to do a 300 dpi graphic for the side of a 747?

Bob
LH
lemoore, hanford
Sep 29, 2003
YrBkMgr wrote:

And there’s a guy in the feature requests forum who is contstantly bashing Adobe for "not listening". Let’s see, text on a path, customizable keys, all new historgram representation, match color. I dunno – they’re listening.

I agree with you Tony CS looks great, I can’t wait! But my guess is that the complaining posts we’ll get is "Adobe added these feature 5 years after everyone else did! This should be a dot release! Where’s bezier distortion? Adobe’s not listening. blah blah" In other words, they’ll find something to complain about.

re: Linux

I thought Linux apps were either limited to a certain CPU type or complete-source-code was needed (so you could build the app for your CPU yourself) to be released … I don’t think either of those options would be acceptable to both the Linux community and Adobe. Seems like a pipe dream to me.

~Hanford
RH
r_harvey
Sep 29, 2003
I thought Linux apps were either limited to a certain CPU type or complete-source-code was needed (so you could build the app for your CPU yourself) to be released … I don’t think either of those options would be acceptable to both the Linux community and Adobe. Seems like a pipe dream to me.

I didn’t bring-up Linux in the first place, however…

You don’t have to know how to compile stuff; a distribution includes binaries. You can distribute (and even sell!!!) binary-only software for Linux. If you change the Linux core for resale, you have to offer your changes back to the community; if you use it internally, you can do whatever you like, install on as many machines as you want, and you don’t have to tell anybody what you did. The license is kind of ’60s-radical, but just by distributing a product for Linux, you haven’t given away your intellectual property–unless you want to. It’s a screwy way to do business–which is probably one reason it’s gaining market share so slowly.
HL
Hudetz, Lawrence
Sep 29, 2003
W2K with Service Pack 3. Does that mean that W2k with Service Pack 4 may have problems?
RH
r_harvey
Sep 29, 2003
SP3 is the minimum.
LH
lemoore, hanford
Sep 29, 2003
You don’t have to know how to compile stuff; a distribution includes binaries. You can distribute (and even sell!!!) binary-only software for Linux.

But aren’t distributions with binaries cpu-type specific? Meaning I’m not going to be able to run a Linux binary on any Linux box, only a linux box with the same CPU the program was built for (meaning Pentium, probably)? That serverely limits which Linux users can use the product, correct?

I’m not saying I’m right .. this is just how I understand it to work.

~Hanford
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 29, 2003
Am I the only one who is having trouble with the encrypted PDF of new features? I use AA 4.05 – think it’s possible that one MUST have 6 in order to read it? I get an error message that says it could not decrypt the file. Anyone else using 4.05 of the full version of AA and having trouble?
CC
Cox, Chris
Sep 29, 2003
Yes, you need a newer version of Acrobat.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 29, 2003
Shoot. Now I have to install AA6 READER and manually open it from there. I didnt’ upgrade to the full blown AA6 because like 5, it’s still buggy – er… needs some refinement <grin>.

Crepe.

Does that mean that the PDF’s created in PS-cs will not be compatable with older versions of acrobat as well?
CC
Cox, Chris
Sep 29, 2003
No, just the newer PDF features won’t be compatible with older Acrobat versions.
MS
McCoy, Stuart
Sep 29, 2003
Hanford,

Not only is Linux CPU specific, though this is not really that big a problem as desktop Linux (which PS would undoubtedly be written for) is really only for PPC and Pentium systems, it is vendor specific, sometimes even version specific. This means if Adobe wrote Photoshop for RedHat 8 than it is quite likely it will only run on RedHat 8. There are so many different distributions that all share some code in a sort of incestual orgy that it’s really a crap shoot how well one app will work on "Linux". It is this lack of standards approach to development that makes it difficult for mainstream apps to take hold for the general desktop Linux user and why Adobe will likely pass on the opportunity at this time.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 29, 2003
Sigh. This is going to cost me a bundle. I need Photoshop-cs, AA6 (yuck), and XP Pro upgrade. Looks like I have to wait until summer.

But Chris, from what I’ve seen so far, you folks are the schizzel. You’ve done an outstanding job – under-promised and over-delivered <golf clap>
LR
Levine, Robert
Sep 29, 2003
Tony,

Sounds like you’re a good candidate for the whole bundle. BTW, if you’re running a stand alone PC you can probably get away with XP Home.

Bob
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 29, 2003
Yeah, Bob, I was thinking the whole bundle too. Problem is, I have to re-think workflow; we’re a five station peer to peer. Sigh.
RH
r_harvey
Sep 29, 2003
It is this lack of standards approach to development that makes it difficult for mainstream apps to take hold for the general desktop Linux user and why Adobe will likely pass on the opportunity at this time.

As mentioned earlier today, Adobe ported FrameMaker to Linux in 1999. The beta ended, and everybody complained later when their free copies stopped working. Standards are pretty good, but imagine being a commercial software company like Adobe, developing for a platform where everybody expects everything to be free. Linux users want you to make your money from product support–but they won’t pay for that, either. Information wants to be free, they keep saying… but they forget that people who provide that information like to eat, too.

Luckily, there’s a new generation of Linux user coming around… those who expect to pay their own way.
LL
Ligon, Larry
Sep 29, 2003
Chris,

Will there be an upgrade to the scripting plug-in with more functions for Photoshop CS?

Larry
CC
Cox, Chris
Sep 30, 2003
Larry – Photoshop CS includes a much improved scripting plugin along with examples, documentation, etc.
G
Gener
Sep 30, 2003
Is there any cpu/motherboard/chipset that plays well with Adobe CS products? I really wish to factor that in on my next upgrade.

Gener–
CC
Cox, Chris
Sep 30, 2003
Gener – just get the fastest you can afford ๐Ÿ˜‰
G
Gener
Sep 30, 2003
Is there any cpu/motherboard/chipset that plays well with Adobe CS products? I really wish to factor that in on my next upgrade.

Gener–
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 30, 2003
just get the fastest you can afford

Hmmm… guess you’ll be waitin’ on the Don Julio then <grin>
HL
Hudetz, Lawrence
Sep 30, 2003
I am curious about the Acrobat 6 reader. I downloaded it but the system still prefers to open in 5. if I set 5 to old the files won’t open at all unless I choose open with each time.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 30, 2003
Well, I’m not downloading 6. Too much is at stake since I use 4.05 for publishing. I have 6 on the laptop so I read the file.

Acrobat is a great program, but kind of a marketing snafu. I’m waiting till the dust settles to even PLAY with 6, reader or otherwise.
LR
Levine, Robert
Sep 30, 2003
Tony, if/when you decide to go to 6, make sure you get the professional version. The standard version is aimed at office level work flows.

Bob
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 30, 2003
Thanks for the advice Bob. I will. I saw that you got it at a steal. I’ll be following suit, but not for a bit yet. A change like that is BIG for us.
LR
Levine, Robert
Sep 30, 2003
It was worth $99.00 just for the separations preview.

BTW, I’d keep an eye on Amazon for the next little while. They tend to have good deals with rebates on pre-announced products.

Bob
MD
milbut, dave
Sep 30, 2003
Larry – Photoshop CS includes a much improved scripting plugin along with examples, documentation, etc.

Chris, the section describing "conditional" actions was under ImageReady in the pdf. Will the main PS app have similar capabilities? (i.e. process this step if ‘landscape’, this step if ‘portrait’ kind of thing)
BN
Bissinger, Norbert
Sep 30, 2003
Watch the PDF presentation movie and you will want it.
<http://www.photoshopuser.com/photoshopcs.html>
HL
Hudetz, Lawrence
Sep 30, 2003
Costs $99 to join before I can see it. Is it worth it?
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 30, 2003
Costs $99 to join before I can see it. Is it worth it?

Scroll down, the others aren’t "for fee".
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Oct 1, 2003
I have asked this question in the Acrobat forum and didn’t get an answer.

I downloaded Acrobat 6, but Acrobat 5 is what automatically comes up for the reader. I set Acrobat 5 to old, then I can’t open anything unless I do it manually. Now, I get messages that tells me to update my reader. I have, so how do I assure 6 is preferred? Do I do a complete uninstall of 5?
RW
Russell_Williams
Oct 1, 2003
We haven’t dropped PSD files — Photoshop CS still reads and writes PSD files as its native format. You may be confusing this with the PSB format, which was added to allow Photoshop CS to save files that are bigger than can be saved in PSD format.
RW
Russell_Williams
Oct 1, 2003
Dave — no, conditioinal actions are only in IR. If you want conditional scripting in Photoshop, you can use the supplied (and enhanced in CS) Javascript, Visual Basic, or AppleScript support.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 1, 2003
Lawrence,

Completely uninstall Acrobat 5, THEN install 6. As much as I love acrobat, it’s one of the most particular applications Adobe authors.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 1, 2003
no, conditioinal actions are only in IR.

thanks. with tighter IR integration, this souldn’t be a problem. The example I mentioned is one I’d seen come up here several times (can I diferentiate between a folder full of mixed portrait and landscape pix?). So the answer will most likely be, sure, jump to ir and create an action that does (step 1, step 2, etc.).

you can use the supplied (and enhanced in CS) Javascript, Visual Basic, or AppleScript support.

me like! ๐Ÿ™‚
CL
Christopher_Lott
Oct 1, 2003
Hi. I purchased the old Adobe Design Collection last week, and this week they released CS! I can’t believe it. Do you think they would give me a free upgrade if I talked to customer service or something? Or am I out of luck?
RH
r_harvey
Oct 1, 2003
The latter.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 1, 2003
the call is toll free. couldn’t hurt.
RH
r_harvey
Oct 1, 2003
800-833-6687 General questions about products
888-724-4508 Adobe Store
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Oct 1, 2003
Thanks for the feedback, Tony. Actually, all I needed to do was to uninstall 5 (4&5 were lumped together on the uninstall.) The program immediately picked up with 6.

Downside: 6 is a bigger program, taking longer to initialize. Hum! Faste computer. Hum!! ๐Ÿ™‚
RL
Robert_Levine
Oct 1, 2003
Can’t hurt to call, but I wouldn’t count on anything.

Bob
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 1, 2003
6 is a bigger program, taking longer to initialize

Yeah, I noticed that too when I installed reader last night. The other thing is that irks the bejeezus out of me is that the default settings for preferences automatically check for digital sig validation. For some reason, my pw protected PDF’s created in 4.05 take almost 5 minutes to open! I thought something was wrong with the drive or the disk. Once I turned off the checking in preferences, loaded like normal.

Sigh. Now there’s a tech support nightmare for us. Our customers will call with "Something’s wrong with the CD". Maybe it won’t happen if we upgrade Acrobat (full version) to 6 – what was that about someone saying that we weren’t forced? Oh, nevermind…
RL
Robert_Levine
Oct 1, 2003
Tony,

Keep in mind that Acrobat 6 Professional requires Win2K or XP. It won’t run on 98.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 2, 2003
From amazon.com (emphasis mine):

Adobe Photoshop CS Upgrade
Adobe

Price: $169.99

Availability: This item will be released on October 24, 2003. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives.

Whoo hoo!
RL
Robert_Levine
Oct 2, 2003
Amazon’s dates don’t mean a thing. They’re very rarely correct.

However, I expect to see some rebate deals from them soon. Keep an eye on them.

Bob
DM
Don_McCahill
Oct 2, 2003
Dave

I remember the release of PS 7 being discussed here in the forum. Some people had theirs weeks before the others got them, apparently with no rhyme or reason. I don’t doubt that this will occur again … probably worse, because Adobe will be fulfilling orders for the suite, and the individual program upgrades. I suspect a month from the time the first person who pre-orders gets his, until the last one.

BTW, I ordered the Design Collection yesterday, and pick it up tomorrow, allowing me to get the update for the shipping cost.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 2, 2003
Bob,

Keep in mind that Acrobat 6 Professional requires Win2K or XP. It won’t run on 98.

Sigh. Thanks Bob. It looks as if it’s destiny don’t it?
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 2, 2003
but tony, no one’s FORCING you to upgrade anything, remember?
RL
Robert_Levine
Oct 2, 2003
but tony, no one’s FORCING you to upgrade anything, remember?

Which remains true. You could stick with what you have forever.

Bob
RL
Robert_Levine
Oct 2, 2003
Sigh. Thanks Bob. It looks as if it’s destiny don’t it?

You can call it destiny if you’d like. I call it progress. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Bob
RB
Rich_Beardsley
Oct 2, 2003
Am I correct in assuming that the CS products will not have manuals? Reading the fine print seems to imply this.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 2, 2003
CS suite Products dont’ have written manuals. They have a workflow guide (of sime kind) that Carol says is really nice. But the manuals are all electronic unless you buy individual products, e.g., Adobe Photoshop CS as a standalone. Then you get a written manual.

Peace,
Tony
RB
Rich_Beardsley
Oct 2, 2003
Ok, so if I upgrade each product individually, I get a written manual for each. If I go the suite route, all manuals are in pdf form.

Guess that decides which upgrade route I’m going to take.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 2, 2003
On the upside, at least you have options. Me, I don’t care about written manuals, but I’m a minority. I prefer something I can search through using the "Search" feature – it’s faster. Some folks sit on the couch (or the throne) and read manuals; so personally, I’m glad there’s an option.
RB
Rich_Beardsley
Oct 2, 2003
Yes, it is nice to have the choice. When I was reading the info, it seemed that no manuals were included period. I thought the marketing department had hired some Quark employee’s ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for the info!
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 2, 2003
I thought the marketing department had hired some Quark employee’s

No, the Legal department did.
DM
Don_McCahill
Oct 2, 2003
I just got my Design Suite in today, and it has a card in it allowing you to order a set of printed manuals if you want them (no price tag though).

I assume CS will do the same.

Online manuals make sense to me, since on an upgrade one tends to only need to check out new features, not all the stuff you have been using for years.
BM
Bran_MacEachaidh
Oct 2, 2003
Ok, so if I upgrade each product individually, I get a written manual for each. If I go the suite route, all manuals are in pdf form.

Guess that decides which upgrade route I’m going to take.

OTOH, Rich (according to Adobe’s responses to my questions on the phone), if you upgrade the apps individually, you get printed manuals but you miss out on some of the integration software and the "Version Cue" file management system.

THEN AGAIN (they also told me), if you do upgrade to the Suite, you are then considered as owning that one single Adobe application (it comes with the one licence number for the entire suite) rather than the five (or six) component ones, and you’ll not be able to upgrade the apps individually if, for instance, Photoshop 9 ships but Illustrator 12 doesn’t. You’ll have to wait for the next version of the Suite before you can upgrade.

Or so I’ve been advised.

I’ve decided to wait until after the new versions actually ship, and see if Adobe announces any other upgrade or pricing schemes to help make this muddle a little clearer.
RB
Rich_Beardsley
Oct 2, 2003
you miss out on some of the integration software and the "Version Cue"
file management system

I’m going to have to call them I suppose. I will get one set of upgrades as part of my print service provider package, but I have another computer I will have to buy them for. I don’t know if I will get the Version Cue with my service provider package, or if I will get the individual upgrades, with manual. Plus I need to know how the suite affects my getting later upgrades as part of the service provider program.
JH
Jake_Hannam
Oct 2, 2003
I wonder if the manuals are even available yet. There is no mention (that I could find) of manuals – much less a price — on the Adobe Store site. That makes me wonder if there will even be manuals available for the individual purchases or will it include an IOU?
Then again, they still have at least one month before the products start shipping (Oct 24th?).

Jake

Seems to me there has been a rush to get CS out the door maybe before it’s ready for prime time.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 2, 2003
Seems to me there has been a rush to get CS out the door maybe before it’s ready for prime time.

No, I think CS is ready as a product. I think they’re testing positioning.
JH
Jake_Hannam
Oct 2, 2003
EDIT – Mistaken duplicate post.
RH
r_harvey
Oct 2, 2003
Sure, that’s what they’d like you to believe.
RB
Rich_Beardsley
Oct 2, 2003
It seems that ASN Providers will get individual upgades with manuals as part of the package. No word yet on if Version Cue will be part of that. They had me e-mail that question so it could be forwarded to a supervisor.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Oct 2, 2003
I thought the suite wasn’t available until the end of November. How did you get yours, Don?
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 2, 2003
Lawrence,

Don got Design Suite not Creative Suite
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Oct 2, 2003
Oh!! <slapping forhead!>

That’s two, Tony. Perhaps I should quit while I’m still ahead.
SS
Stephanie_Schaefer
Oct 2, 2003
Rich,

While individual CS point products will be able to work with Version Cue, Version Cue itself is only available as part of the Creative Suite.

–Steph
RB
Rich_Beardsley
Oct 2, 2003
Thanks for the info Stephanie. Is there a reason it is not being offered as a stand alone product? I haven’t seen too much about it, just the little bit in the creative suite pdf. It sounds like a very helpful tool.
B
BobCirrito
Oct 3, 2003
I hope customer service is listening. We have $$$ they want all of us to part with. Give the guy the upgrade for shipping. The Collection wasn’t cheap and he did make a commitment.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 3, 2003
Too much coffee at the strategy planning sessions is my guess.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 3, 2003
Too much coffee at the strategy planning sessions is my guess

Probably dropped casual dress code like the rest of corporate america when the job market got rough again, and that gets you NeckTie Too Tight Syndrome (NTTTS).
WK
William Kazak
Nov 4, 2003
What is progress?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections