D
Posted By
DJH
Nov 12, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Help! I’m doing some graphics using PS7 layer masks. i’m definitely working in the layer mask, the opacity is set to 100% and the setting is normal – yet it’s still leaving the top image showing (albeit a lot fainter but that’s not much use when the top image is black and the one under it is pale pink!) The colour swatches aren’t changing to black and white either like they did in PS5.5 – is that a different feature with 7 or is that part of the problem? any help would be much appreciated.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ruth
Nov 12, 2003
you have to ensure you select the layer mask, not the layer, when you are working.
the swatches do change to black and white when you have the layer mask selected.

ruth

"DJH" wrote in message
Help! I’m doing some graphics using PS7 layer masks. i’m definitely
working
in the layer mask, the opacity is set to 100% and the setting is normal – yet it’s still leaving the top image showing (albeit a lot fainter but that’s not much use when the top image is black and the one under it is
pale
pink!) The colour swatches aren’t changing to black and white either like they did in PS5.5 – is that a different feature with 7 or is that part of the problem? any help would be much appreciated.

D
DJH
Nov 12, 2003
"Ruth" wrote in message
you have to ensure you select the layer mask, not the layer, when you are working.
the swatches do change to black and white when you have the layer mask selected.

ruth

Hi, thanks but I definitely have the layer mask selected – I even took a screen print just to prove that I had, just in case anyone doubts me (lol.) If it wasn’t I’d be painting over the actual image anyway. anyone else any ideas?
R
Ruth
Nov 12, 2003
wierd!
hey, taking a screen print – great idea.
probably if you put it on the net some genius here will be able to see whats wrong.

good luck
ruth

"DJH" wrote in message
"Ruth" wrote in message
you have to ensure you select the layer mask, not the layer, when you
are
working.

ruth

Hi, thanks but I definitely have the layer mask selected – I even took a screen print just to prove that I had, just in case anyone doubts me
(lol.)
If it wasn’t I’d be painting over the actual image anyway. anyone else any ideas?

E
edjh
Nov 12, 2003
DJH wrote:
"Ruth" wrote in message

ruth

Hi, thanks but I definitely have the layer mask selected – I even took a screen print just to prove that I had, just in case anyone doubts me (lol.) If it wasn’t I’d be painting over the actual image anyway. anyone else any ideas?
If the swatches aren’t changing to B&W I’d have to say you can’t possibly be on a layer mask. Vector mask maybe? Right-click on it to find out.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
D
DJH
Nov 13, 2003
"edjh" wrote in message
DJH wrote:
"Ruth" wrote in message

you have to ensure you select the layer mask, not the layer, when you
are
working.

ruth

Hi, thanks but I definitely have the layer mask selected – I even took a screen print just to prove that I had, just in case anyone doubts me
(lol.)
If it wasn’t I’d be painting over the actual image anyway. anyone else
any
ideas?
If the swatches aren’t changing to B&W I’d have to say you can’t possibly be on a layer mask. Vector mask maybe? Right-click on it to find out.

Apparently in PS7 the swatches don’t change colour. I finally worked it out – my brush was set on wet edges and that was leaving the ghosting!
E
edjh
Nov 13, 2003
Apparently in PS7 the swatches don’t change colour. I finally worked it out – my brush was set on wet edges and that was leaving the ghosting!
Did you mean the Swatches Palette or the two Color Picker boxes in the Tools Palette? The Color Picker ones always change.

Anyway, glad it’s fixed.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections