Posted By
Gethin_Coles
Jul 27, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m sure I’ve done this before!
I copy the background layer (select all, copy) selelct the new layer; alt-click the layer mask then paste: works fine when writing the action but when you play it back it simply pastes a new layer.

Any ideas?
G

p.s Its for a rather good film grain action (even if I say so myself!) which I’ll post on exchange once I’ve figured this out!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 27, 2006
I remember this being asked before, and if memory serves, there isn’t a way to get the action to record the Alt-Click of the layer mask. I seem to recall that there’s a workaround with more steps, but you would have to load the mask as a selection, create a channel out of it, and then reload that channel or something inane like that.
GC
Gethin_Coles
Jul 27, 2006
Well I went back to an action created in photoshop 7 and grabbed the "select current channel > with make visible". I could find now way to create this step in CS2. Maybe its deprecated but even the workaround (view chanels turn off everything except the layer mask channel ) would only work if done in exaclty the right order – I got it working once then not a second time.

I’d love to know if theres a way to create that step mentioned above in CS2 G
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 27, 2006
but even the workaround (view chanels turn off everything except the layer mask channel ) would only work if done in exaclty the right order

You don’t need to turn off anything.

Here’s what I did…

Start recording.

Control A; Control C; go to channels palette – Create new Channel; click on new channel thumbnail (making it active); paste; Control Click on the channel thumbnail; Control I to invert; Create New Layer (blank); Create Mask from the button at the bottom of the layers palette.

The variable with it is whether or not other channels already exist – to control that, change the name of the channel while recording, so that when you select it, you select the one you named. Also, if you create the channel from the flyout menu of the Channels palette, you can give it a name from the start and avoid other issues if other alpha channels exist.

I couldn’t find how to "select current channel>with make visible" in CS2, or even PS7, for that matter.
DR
Danny Raphael
Jul 27, 2006
Here’s another method Mathias suggested awhile back…

* "Ctrl + click" on the RGB composite in the Channels palette to "load the selection" — essentially the luminosity of the image
* Add a layer mask to a layer, which will be populated with the image’s luminosity
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 27, 2006
Ah. I knew there was a more elegant workaround, I just couldn’t rememeber it. Thanks Danny.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections