Adjustment Layer Mask, Filled – A Short Cut ?

SJ
Posted By
Simon_J.A._Simpson
Aug 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A simple request, but a little complicated to explain.

To create an Adjustment Layer you can click on the Create a New Layer button at the bottom of the Layers Palette. Select an ‘adjustment’ and a layer along with a mask is created. Great. But the mask is, by default, ‘unfilled’ (i.e. filled with ‘white’ paint).

If I want to ‘paint-in’ the adjustment in only a small area I need to delete the Layer Mask (drag it to the waste-bin icon – a dialogue asks me if I want to delete it and YES, I do) then I can click on the Add Layer Mask button at the bottom of the Layers Palette. If I hold-down the Options/Alt key a ‘filled’ Mask is created (i.e. filled with ‘black’ paint).

All this is fine but its taken four steps to achieve this.

Question.
How can I click on the Create a New Layer button and have Photoshop create a ‘filled’ (black) layer instead of an ‘unfilled’ (white) layer, all with a key press and one click ? I’ve tried a variety of key combinations of the Command, Control, Option and Shift keys with no success.

Any ideas ?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

PF
Peter_Figen
Aug 22, 2006
All you have to do is fill your adjustment layer with black and then paint with white. A single keystroke, depending on your background/foreground color. Option-Delete fills with foreground. Command(Alt)-Delete fills with background. The letter D changes your foreground/background to the default black/white. X swaps the colors.

Or… you can do an F-key assignment for any menu option. In your case, you would start the Action to record the menu command. The one you want is under the Layer menu. Layer>LayerMask>HideAll, as opposed to the Reveal All option there too.
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Aug 22, 2006
Actually, after creating the Adjustment Layer, with the mask active, hit Command + I (as in i) in inverse the white to black…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections