Turn off Layer Adjustment Default Masks?

RS
Posted By
Rico_Schwartzberg
Oct 24, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to get used to all the changes Adobe threw at PS CS4.

I’ve always preferred to turn off the option to create a Default Layer Mask when creating a new adjustment layer. If I’m not going to have a layer mask I don’t want the blank box to take up space. However when I go into the Layers Panel Options dialog box I see that Adobe has replaced this option with Use Default Masks on Fill Layers which apparently works with Solid Color, Gradient and Pattern only.

Now when I create a new Curves or Levels adjustment layer I have to manually delete the empty Mask.

This makes no sense to me. Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
Rico

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JM
J_Maloney
Oct 24, 2008
I don’t want the blank box to take up space

It doesn’t. It is compressed to virtually nothing. A test of 50 adjustment layers show less that 1_K_ difference, masked or unmasked.

And if you do decide to start masking, it’s waiting there for you.
RS
Rico_Schwartzberg
Oct 24, 2008
I didn’t mean to imply that it takes up "file size" space. I meant literal space on the screen, in my Layers Palette.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 24, 2008
Set your Layers Panel to use smaller icons but the non-use of Masks wont make the panel any narrower.
EW
ekim_wahs
Oct 24, 2008
In the Adjustment panel flyout menu there is the option for Add mask by default. If you turn it off you will have the behavior you are looking for.
RS
Rico_Schwartzberg
Oct 24, 2008
Thank you ekim wahs for clearing this up. I did suspect that the option was moved from the Layers panel to the Adjustments panel.

However when I checked the flyout menu in Adjustments I had Curves open. I realize now that when any particular Adjustment dialog is open the flyout menu changes. Once I returned to the Full List in the Adjustment panel and then checked the flyout menu, the correct option was available.

Wow Adobe, this new version is a challenge for us PS jockeys that have a long running routine established.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections