"Step Backward" and "Step Forward" should treat switching to/and from a layer as

HV
Posted By
Herman_van_Boeijen
Dec 18, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
First some background info:
I have CTR-Z mapped to step backward.
Using two different shortcuts for "undo" (one step back) and "Step Backward" (Multiple steps back) makes no sense to me. As such, I rarely use the regular undo, and do not have it mapped.

The case:
When I switch to a new layer, do a brush stroke and undo it, photoshop treats my undo as a switch back to the layer I came from. This happens a LOT, and not just to me, but to a lot of designers I know (I’m a GUI designer at a game company). Some of them have even formed a habit of "erasing" a bit in an empty part of the layer, just in case the’d later want to undo. That’s bad.

My proposed solution:
-First undo my stroke, Leave my selected layer alone.
-On a NEXT press of "Step backward" change my current layer to the one I came from.

Thanks for reading this far! 🙂
If this post sounds harsh, please keep in mind it’s the ones you love most, that hurt you most 😉

Kind regards,
Herman.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JJ
John Joslin
Dec 18, 2008
I would say this is more like a "feature request" which has a place at the top of this forum list.
HV
Herman_van_Boeijen
Dec 18, 2008
I see your point.

I myself think it’s more of a bug report or feature modification though, since the "Step Backward" erroneously clumps two of my actions into one.

I’ll see if I can move it to a more appropriate place, thanks!
DM
Don_McCahill
Dec 18, 2008
Its only a bug if it doesn’t work the way the programmer intended. If it doesn’t work the way you think it should, it is a feature request.
HV
Herman_van_Boeijen
Dec 18, 2008
Indeed! Someone must have made this as a conscious decision.

How do you (the people reading this) feel about this design?

While I feel that decision itself is "bugged" I understand your comment, and apologize for misposting this.

I could not find a way to move it to a more appropriate place, could someone else please do so?

Thanks!
DM
Don_McCahill
Dec 18, 2008
Well, you can’t move it. A host can. But I suggest instead you just post a new message in the New Features folder at the top of the forum list (if you are on web view).
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Dec 18, 2008
Yes I do seem to remember there was a preference removed a few versions ago which affected this, could be wrong. Its an interesting issue, and could be sorted with a "undo remembers layers option" in History Options.

You may try as a work around changing to "allow Non-linear history" in the same place. History Options are attached to the History panel
B
Buko
Dec 18, 2008
As I recall there was a reason for this. Chris Cox explained it once I just can’t remember what it was.
E
Edgar333
Dec 20, 2008
Very annoying, I remember there was an old photoshop version where this "feature" wasn’t implemented. Now I have to scribble outside the canvas or erase something before working on a new layer.
JM
J_Maloney
Dec 20, 2008
Select all?
B
Buko
Dec 20, 2008
I remember there was an old photoshop version where this "feature" wasn’t implemented.

version 4?

you’d think you’d be used to it by now.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections