Is there a way to undo without switching layers?

DP
Posted By
Dan_Phyillaier
Mar 25, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
While using PS for digital paintings I am constantly switching between layers. For instance, I am painting away on one layer, then I switch to another layer. However the first stroke on the new layer is not what I want, so I hit undo. The problem is that PS automatically switches me back to the previous layer. So if I don’t notice I continue to paint on the wrong layer. Is there a way that I can use the undo without switching layers? I am currently using CS2.

This is a problem that has long been a slight annoyance to me. If anyone knows the answer I would greatly appreciate it.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JM
J_Maloney
Mar 25, 2009
In CS2, 3 and 4, "undo" does what you want. "Step backward" does what you describe. Learn to use undo (command-z, as opposed to command-option-z or the history panel).
DP
Dan_Phyillaier
Mar 25, 2009
I replaced the "Step backward" shortcut with the "Undo" shortcut. Years ago I customized all my shortcuts so that I wouldn’t have to move my hand or look at the keyboard to access most of my tools or functions. Hopefully it won’t be too hard to adjust to this new setup.

I still wish there was a way to step backward without changing layers. It seems more annoying then helpful to me.

Thanks again for your help.
R
Ram
Mar 26, 2009
more annoying then helpful to me.

Β…"than"Β…

There, I fixed that for you. πŸ˜‰
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Mar 26, 2009
Ramon seems to have some sort of Obsessive Compulsive problem when it comes to accuracy – oops missed the Γ³. Try to think of my posts like a ‘spot the deliberate mistakes’ puzzle RamΓ³n.
P
Phosphor
Mar 26, 2009
I still wish there was a way to step backward without changing layers. It seems more annoying then helpful to me.

You could change the keyboard shortcut if you wished, but History is just that. Many people would be annoyed if it didn’t work that way. Command-Z for Undo is fairly universal across most programs.
DP
Dan_Phyillaier
Mar 26, 2009
It would probably drive all of the PS purists crazy to know that my "undo" is command-i and "step forward" is command-k.

To each there own. πŸ˜‰
R
Ram
Mar 26, 2009
To each there own.

To each their own.

There, I fixed that for you. πŸ˜‰ @ Mark.
DP
Dan_Phyillaier
Mar 26, 2009
RamΓ³n,

That was too obvious of a mistake. I’ll have to try harder to trip you up next time. πŸ™‚ Do you freelance as a proofreader?
R
Ram
Mar 26, 2009
Nope, just messing with Mark. πŸ˜‰
P
Phosphor
Mar 26, 2009
To each his own.

Correct, non-PC version. I will never accept that distortion of the language.
R
Ram
Mar 26, 2009
πŸ™‚
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 27, 2009
I think we can take English 201 next door now.

Neil <g>

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections