D
Posted By
dkperez
Dec 15, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I rummaged around in here looking at opengl topics and others associated with the above error, but I’m not seeing what I’m encountering (or I am and I don’t recognize it!)…..

I bought CS4 a week or so ago, and installed it on a system running XP32 with service pack 3, 4GB of ram withe the /3GB switch set, nVidia 8600 GT card (which according to the list is supported), and multiple spindles for images, scratch, applications, and so on. I found other topics earlier so I downloaded the most recent drivers for my video card.

I’m not crashing and burning, but I’m getting some messages…

I opened an image, and while working on it I wanted to do a transform/warp. I got the message that Photoshop couldn’t perform the operation because there wasn’t enough memory. It didn’t crash but I had to shut down CS4 and restart it to do the warp.

Most recently I opened a couple images for a panorama, and while doing the merge I got the message that "Photoshop has encountered a problem with the display driver and has temporarily disabled gpu enhancements." It tells me to check for the latest drivers – I’ve ALREADY got the lastest drivers. Again, no crash, just the warning. It completed the panorama.

There have been a couple other occurrences of messages of this type, so I’m curious if there’s some set of preferences or system settting I need to adjust to optimize things? I’ve alrady adjusted the nVidia settings because I also run Lightroom and they’re having problems too.

I’ve read the tech notes for the video and such and didn’t find any set of optimizations there so is there a set of adjustments beyond the preferences that needs to be adjusted to improve memory and video performance? And if so, can someone point me to them.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DE
David_E_Crawford
Dec 15, 2008
dkperez,
When you do the switch on a 32 bit operating system the first part of the 1 gig of address is assigned to your video ram.

So, lets say to keep this simple, if your card has 250 megs of ram then only 750 megs of address space is remaining for your operating system to run on and what ever else.
BJ
Brandon_Jackson
Dec 15, 2008
I don’t think the switch is relevant here. I am running into the same error described here (has happened several times) and I only have 2G of RAM in my XP machine. I get the same message when using transform and when sometimes using the text tool. I have an nvidia 7600GS 512MB card with the latest drivers and still get this error. Plus, when this happens, it only affects the open image, the other open images may still have OpenGL support features working.
D
dkperez
Dec 16, 2008
As I understand it (suspect at best) XP32 can address 4 gig of memory. the /3gb switch lets the applications get at 3 gig of that. If my video card takes the first 256MB, and XP is guaranteed the other 750 of the 1st gig, and in the CS4 performance preferences I should be giving it from 1462 – 1895 MB (I’ve given it around 1890), that leaves me with another gig or so… Is that limited to applications or can XP use it? In any case, I’m not crashing, I just get the message every so often about being out of memory. I don’t recall ever seeing this with CS3, but new version, new oddities…
CC
Clifton_Cline
Dec 19, 2008
I’m getting the "encountered error with display driver, GPU features temporarily disabled" message as well. 3GB RAM, 9800GTX+, XP 32-bit. It used to work fine, not when the error started. Installed latest drivers, no solution.
F
Freeagent
Dec 19, 2008
I just get the message every so often about being out of memory

Scratch disk.
SD
Spencer_Darling
Jan 24, 2009

1. Does Adobe monitor this forum — and respond?
2. Who responds here? These are all questions and comments with no response.

I’m getting an error message "Photoshop has encountered a problem with the display drive, and has temporarily disabled GPU enhancements. Check the video card manufacturer’s website for the latest software. GPU enhancements can be enabled in the Performance panel of Preferences."

3. What are the GPU enhancements that are disabled?
4. What are the new Adobe features that require these enhancements.

Spencer
JJ
John Joslin
Jan 24, 2009
This is a user to user forum.

Luckily, Adobe engineers pop in from time to time and give advice where they can but this is not Adobe tech support.

Regarding your error message, there are several hundred posts in several threads on this forum. Have a browse around.

Or there’s alway google!
WE
Wolf_Eilers
Jan 24, 2009

4. What are the new Adobe features that require these enhancements.

<http://www.adobe.com/go/kb405745>
<http://www.adobe.com/go/kb404898>

The Type tool may also be affected (slow text appearance) if OpenGL is enabled on some graphic cards with certain drivers.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections