Posted By
Wim_Melis
Jan 25, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Dear all,

Sometimes when I start photoshop, I get a message saying: "Photoshop has encountered a problem with the display driver and has temporarily disabled GPU enhancements. Check the video card manufacturer’s website for the latest software. GPU enhancements can be enabled in the Performance panel of Preferences."

I have the latest graphics drivers installed, but this message does not always occur when I start Photoshop although the driver does not change. So, I guess there might be some other reason causing this error message.

I am running Photoshop on a Thinkpad with Windows XP Professional.

Regards,

WM

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RL
roger_leale
Jan 25, 2009
If you have an nVidia graphics card check the nVidia site for beta or updated drivers. There are even new ones this month.

Roger
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 25, 2009
The error message means what it says: the driver has returned an error, and Photoshop had to disable some GPU features because of that. Updating the driver is the solution, but if you have the latest driver, you may need to tell the video card maker so they know to fix the bug…
WM
Wim_Melis
Jan 26, 2009
Well it is an ATI card, and I have checked to have the latest installed, though that seems to be dating from 2007. What I would not quite get then is that I did not have any problems running Photoshop from CS3, does CS4 put more strain on my graphics card (driver).
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 26, 2009
Yes, CS4 puts a lot more strain on your video card and driver.
WM
Wim_Melis
Jan 29, 2009
I have the impression that this problem is linked to my other problem mentioned in the thread (http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b7aa30/4) since I seem to get the video driver problem when running photoshop from anything other than an administrator account.
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 29, 2009
that’s possible wim, or it might be simply you have different video card settings between the admin account and the user that you want to log in with.

suggest you compare all settings side by side with screen shots from both accounts.
WM
Wim_Melis
Jan 29, 2009
Hi, since I did not change anything to the video driver settings on any of the accounts, I doubt that to be the problem. I will make a comparison though. I have tried it with multiple new profiles in the past too, and the profile issue seemed persistent. Hopefully some of the developers can tell me how they wrote the software in relation to this …
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 29, 2009
Hi, since I did not change anything to the video driver settings on any of the accounts, I doubt that to be the problem

probably right. i was thinking maybe you had applied some of the tweaks and fixes mentioned in this forum (there are many!)
HH
Hugh Hansard
Feb 2, 2009
What is the level of OGL implemented by your card? Adobe has an OGL compatability app that ships with AE. Hopefully yours is 2.1 or later. If not, then get a new card. A new driver will not help. If you are really lucky, then there is a flash ROM update for the card to up-rev the OGL, but that is very rare.

As a side note: I am not sure how this myth gat started, but PS actually puts very little strain on GPU acceleration compared to visualization, CAD and compositing apps. It is a minor issue compared to other offerings in the CS4 family (PP and AE come to mind).

The Engineering team knows there are issues with their use of OGL. They are working hard to get a solution in the hands of folks quickly.

The first recommendation is to disable all "advanced OGL settings" and see how you do.

H

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections