RA
Posted By
Robert A
Oct 25, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have PS7 and an Epson 2200, which has custom profiles. I’ve been doing some testing to determine what eyedropper settings to use for D-Max and D-Min with Epson Premium Lustre paper. I’m using a scale of 0-255.

With D-Min, I barely see a hint of shading on settings as high as 253 with the unaided eye. Through a loupe, I can even detect some granularity at 254. Naturally, 255 is totally white.

But with D-Max, there is a different story. I have tested every setting from 0-26, and to the unaided eye, they all look the same. Only beyond 26 can I begin to detect any departure from true black. With a loupe, however, I can begin seeing some texture at maybe 10.

I’m not totally suprised by these findings, since I’ve been told that the Epson 2200 tends to compress the deepest blacks a fair amount.

My question is, what settings should I use in PS7 to get the best tonal range on the print. I assume that D-Min should be 253 or 254, but with D-Max I’m not so sure. With D-Max, the higher the number I use, the more shadow detail I should get, but I don’t want to lose the richest blacks.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Robert Ades

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RF
Robert Feinman
Oct 26, 2003
I’ve discovered the same thing. I usually move the 0,0 point in the curves dialog to something like 10 input -> 0 output, but then I raise the dark areas so that 40 input -> 50-60 output. For the highlights I keep the entire image (except maybe for the sun in the picture) to a max of 253 so there is no plain paper showing.
Thus the curve has a slight S shape.
Make sure you do all your adjustments with the preview on for the type of paper you are using.
I have a tip on my web site about optimizing the workflow for inkjet prints that you may find helpful.
Look under the tips section on my home page.

In article <ifDmb.3171$>,
says…
I have PS7 and an Epson 2200, which has custom profiles. I’ve been doing some testing to determine what eyedropper settings to use for D-Max and D-Min with Epson Premium Lustre paper. I’m using a scale of 0-255.
With D-Min, I barely see a hint of shading on settings as high as 253 with the unaided eye. Through a loupe, I can even detect some granularity at 254. Naturally, 255 is totally white.

But with D-Max, there is a different story. I have tested every setting from 0-26, and to the unaided eye, they all look the same. Only beyond 26 can I begin to detect any departure from true black. With a loupe, however, I can begin seeing some texture at maybe 10.

I’m not totally suprised by these findings, since I’ve been told that the Epson 2200 tends to compress the deepest blacks a fair amount.
My question is, what settings should I use in PS7 to get the best tonal range on the print. I assume that D-Min should be 253 or 254, but with D-Max I’m not so sure. With D-Max, the higher the number I use, the more shadow detail I should get, but I don’t want to lose the richest blacks.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Robert Ades

Robert D Feinman

Landscapes, Cityscapes, Panoramas and Photoshop Tips
http://robertdfeinman.com

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections