BG
Posted By
Bud_Grennan
Sep 16, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am a new user of photoshop and would like to know how to set help viewer up to use Firefox for accessing online help instead of Internet Explorer.

Thanks,

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JJ
John Joslin
Sep 16, 2008
I think you’ll find it isn’t either of them and it’s hard coded into the application.
P
Phosphor
Sep 16, 2008
What version? You could up to CS, but it has changed since then. Used to just use your default browser.
BC
Bart_Cross
Sep 16, 2008
I would like to point out that the ‘Help’ system uses a modified version of Opera.
BG
Bud_Grennan
Sep 18, 2008
That is interesting but unfamiliar to me… I will investigate Opera but still…

If anyone knows the answer to this question, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Bud
BC
Bart_Cross
Sep 18, 2008
As per above, I think it is ‘hard-wired’. My version of Maya, unless I have IE set as the default browser, it will not display the help files at all.
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 18, 2008
I think he wants to change the fact that, whatever the default browser, clicking on a link from within Help automatically opens IE.

The pages work in FF – I pasted the URL into the address bar.
P
Phosphor
Sep 18, 2008
Do you have HTML files set to always open in FF?
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 18, 2008
Yes.
P
Phosphor
Sep 18, 2008
I was asking the OP. Sorry.
M
Mylenium
Sep 19, 2008
Mmh, well, the links are looped thru a JavaScript, hence I would assume that you could coerce Help Viewer to display them in FF by adjusting the default handler for JS… Anyway, why not simply place a bookmark in FF?

Mylenium
BG
Bud_Grennan
Sep 20, 2008
Thank you all for taking the time on this,

"Anyway, why not simply place a bookmark in FF?"

That sounds like an option, but not so conducive to learning while I work. I am just learning Photoshop from scratch. Although I have used other photo editing software, I finally invested in the best.

"I would assume that you could coerce Help Viewer to display them in FF by adjusting the default handler for JS…"

Sounds good to me but I am not real sure where to do it… If it means lots of difficult tweaking it might not be worthwhile but it seems that the software developers would think; or would have thought that maybe there are people like me that aren’t so fond of using Internet Explorer, hence in my case, I have Firefox set as my default browser.

Thanks again,
Bud
P
Phosphor
Sep 20, 2008
Well, though I think IE sucks, why not just live with it for this? Anyone know why Adobe abandoned the old Help html method? Was it to easy or logical or something?

CS3 Help is online here: < http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Photoshop/10.0/help.html?con tent=WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-750d.html>
BC
Bart_Cross
Sep 20, 2008
As I mentioned above, Adobe uses a modified version of Opera for it’s help files and there are definitely problems with it. The first being that the HTML files are kept in a .zip file and are not extracted so help can be really slow, the second being that I can never be sure what font it will use, it picked up Marlet once and that was a site to behold.

The fact they are kept in an archive format could be at the base of the problem of the files only opening in IE, but not FF.
DM
dave_milbutucci
Sep 20, 2008
Was it to easy or logical or something?

too… one words. also. 🙂

it was microsoft changing the game again. dumb asses. they had a good system going and changed the game because too many people were getting good at it. so they changed formats and the way you’re "officially" supposed to do help. that last change finally made many people say "enough" and branch out on their own. it was another attempt by them to use their monopoly power to dictate the formats used to make there’s "chosen" format (closed of course, not open) the only format.
DM
dave_milbutucci
Sep 20, 2008
Was it to easy or logical or something?

too… one words. also. 🙂

it was microsoft changing the game again. dumb asses. they had a good system going and changed the game because too many people were getting good at it. so they changed formats and the way you’re "officially" supposed to do help. that last change finally made many people say "enough" and branch out on their own. it was another attempt by them to use their monopoly power to dictate the formats used to make there’s "chosen" format (closed of course, not open) the only format.
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 20, 2008
there’s = theirs

Bakatcha! 🙂
P
Phosphor
Sep 20, 2008
Lost me there, Jim. What does Adobe changing their Help system have to do with Microsoft?

My question was, why did Adobe change it? Help still works fine for me in CS.
BG
Bud_Grennan
Sep 20, 2008
Well, again; Thanks all,

Let me be sure to check my grammar here…

I guess just live with it is the best thing.
For what it is worth; what is the best method of giving feedback or suggestions to the developers working on the software?

Thanks again! I’ll leave this thread be now; but I appreciate it.
DM
dave_milbutucci
Sep 20, 2008
there’s = theirs

that was corrected in under a second! what are you? the NSA?!!

Lost me there, Jim

that was me. it was changed because microsoft changed the help specification. that’s part of what it takes to get windows certification.

what is the best method of giving feedback or suggestions to the developers working on the software?

there’s the feature request forum here (top of the topic list), and there’s a bug report form somewhere that i’m sure adobe will link to.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections