Error when trying to use Online Help

Posted By
Aug 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
According to the Support Knowledgebase, I could "open the help.htm file from the local drive and bookmark the page. If you want to view the online Help, locate the Help.htm file(or Help.html) in the Help folder in the Photoshop Elements 2 folder, then open the Help file in a browser. Book mark the page…" I could not find these places!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 17, 2004
Eleanor, let’s step back a little, because most people don’t have to use that method in order to access the Help files.

What operating system are you using? What ISP are you using? What browser are you using?

Maybe we can get you going without having to go through that setup.
Aug 17, 2004
Thanks Beth for answering. I am having such a frustrating time. I have a PC, using Windows 98, AOL version 8.0, and Microsoft Internet Explorer Version 6+ (at least it is on my desktop). Unless AOL is the browser. How do I find out?
B
BobHill
Aug 17, 2004
Eleaner,

If you have a MSIE shortcut on your system and are OnLine, try double clicking it rather than using AOL’s browser. See if that doesn’t work. Also Click any HTML (Elements Help file) and just double click it. If it does not open in MSIE (MS Internet Explorer), then HTML is associated with AOL’s browser and will have trouble. IF using a PC, then right click on any HTML file, OPEN WITH and click CHOOSE PROGRAM (even if you see MSIE in list) and from the list, choose MSIE and click the box that states "Use this program to open this type of file" and click OK. Now, your HELP files should open in MSIE from Elements and not try to open in AOL (which will be a problem). See if that doesn’t work for you, Eleanor. For those on a MAC, I’m sure Beth or others can apply the method.

Bob
Aug 17, 2004
Thanks, Bob I printed out your reply in order to work with it. I double clicked the MSIE shortcut, but then what? When you say click any Elements Help file, I get the same error message. Maybe you mean go to Windows Explorer to find these files. My heart is sinking. I feel like I know nothing. I did find the below info, though. Sorry I have to recess now, but I do appreciate your trying to help. I’ll get back to this later today.

Operating System: Windows 98
Version: 4.10
System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:5, Stepping:1 with MMX Built-in memory: 223 MB
Free memory: 2 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 199 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 50 %
Image cache levels: 4
Use image cache for histograms: No
Serial number: 10574427602049956584
Application folder: C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS 2\TUTORIALS\ Temporary file path: c:\windows\TEMP\
Photoshop scratch has async I/O disabled
Scratch volume(s):
Startup, 9.54 GB, 6.37 GB free
Primary Plug-ins folder: C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS 2\TUTORIALS\Plug-Ins\ Additional Plug-ins folder: C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS 2\Plug-Ins\ Installed plug-ins:
3D Transform 2.0, etc. etc.
TWAIN devices: NONE
B
BobHill
Aug 17, 2004
Eleanor,

Actually you can do it from any place you can see the actual HTM(L) file. But RIGHT Click the file, OPEN WITH, CHOOSE PROGRAM. Windows Explorer (Window Key-logo key plus letter E) then Program Files, Adobe, Elements, HELP (or HTML Palettes) will give you any HTML file. Or, the easy way is to Logo Key (windows key) Plus letter F will open FIND/SEARCH menu. Type in *.htm (* being wild card or any file with .htm extension) and it’ll do it for you. You can stop any time you start to get HTML files and then do the same thing here. RIGHT click any one of them and proceed as above.

Bob
Aug 17, 2004
Thanks so much, Bob. I’ll get back to this.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Aug 17, 2004
Bob,

It would be advisable of you to kindly remove the serial number from the previous post. This serial number could be stolen by being openly displayed as it is.

Ray
BG
Byron Gale
Aug 17, 2004
Ray,

The S/N is not fully displayed… it is 4 digits short. I suspect that "Curious" just copied the results of Elements’ System Info display.

Byron
RR
Raymond Robillard
Aug 17, 2004
You’re right, but still, it’s not a good idea.

My 2 cents worth.. 😉

Ray
Aug 18, 2004
Bob,I’m feeling like an idiot, but that’s OK. What are you referring to by "the actual HTM(L)file"? Where would I find it? If I could understand that, I might be able to get on with the rest of it. I know HTML is a language that’s used on the internet. But that’s all. Thanks, — Eleanor

"Actually you can do it from any place you can see the actual HTM(L) file"

And what is "Logo-key"?
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 18, 2004
Eleanor, do you know how to change the default browser in Win 98? I don’t, or I would give you step by step instructions. However, changing the default in Windows to a plain vanilla version of IE (which you say you have) should allow you to view the Help files without interfering with your AOL access. Normally this is done out of the Control Panels, wherever it is you set up your internet access.

Accessing Help should be pretty straightforward, unless there’s something about Win 98 I don’t understand. The right click method that Bob Hill outlined does work, assuming you know your way around your hard drive well. See if you can’t change the default from the Control Panel instead.
Aug 18, 2004
Hi Beth,

I tried your suggestion, but I think I need someone to walk me through this. Thanks so much for trying. I will put the whole matter on hold till I get someone over here.

New complication: I can’t access your last message or any of the other messages after the first one.
EW
Ed_Wurster
Aug 18, 2004
Curious wrote:
I tried your suggestion, but I think I need someone to walk me through this. Thanks so much for trying. I will put the whole matter on hold till I get someone over here.

Control Panels > Internet Options
Click on the Programs tab
Make sure the box "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser" is checked
Click OK
Open Internet Explorer through the start menu, or desktop icon if you can find it
When it asks a question about default browser, answer yes or OK.

The help files should work properly now.

Ed
Aug 18, 2004
Thanks Ed, I will try this. –Eleanor
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 18, 2004
Eleanor, re: seeing the messages – are you viewing from the forum itself or through a news reader? If from the forum, have the top of the thread visible, and then look to the right of the area where the responses begin. Written in blue you’ll see the phrase "Show All Messages". Click on that and all of them will be viewable from one page. The same feature is available slightly above the area where you post a new message, too.
B
BobHill
Aug 18, 2004
Ray,

Thanks for the "heads up" and I quite agree that NO part of a serial number should be posted. I had missed that.

Bob
B
BobHill
Aug 18, 2004
Eleanor,

On a PC your files will have a "dot" and usually three letter extension (establishes file format). HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language) was specifically designed for use on the Internet (where all things have to fit a standard). Most of the higher programs now are extensively using that language (HTML) for their tutoring and HELP files. This is especially true of Adobe.

To find any file of any type, you can use your Windows SEARCH engine which is easily gotten to by clicking the LOGO Key (located on newer keyboards between the CTRL and ALT key on left side and just to right of ALT key on right side of space bar.

Hold down LOGO key and click the letter F and you’ll get the FIND/SEARCH menu.

Click on the ALL FILES AND FOLDERS option, then in the "All or any part of the filename" box type in: *.htm (short for HTML). The * means that you are looking for ANY file on your system that has the HTM or HTML extension.

In the LOOK IN box, be sure you have your main Drive (or all drives) checked.

When you then click Search (or find, depending upon your version of Windows) it’ll start to put all the HTM(L) files in a box on the right side.

When you start to get a few, click on STOP SEARCH. You only need one to do the association change.

Now use the Right Click OPEN WITH, CHOOSE PROGRAM to get to your MS Internet Explorer icon and click the box in front of USE THIS PROGRAM TO OPEN THIS TYPE OF FILE and click OK.

See if this works for you.

Bob
Aug 18, 2004
Ed! I got it! it works! You were right! (This was Adobe for Dummies!) Now I have HELP in Adobe. And thank you Beth, I clicked on Show all Messages. And thank you Bob, for trying so diligently & patiently.–

Eleanor
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 18, 2004
Yippee! Oh, we are sooo good. 🙂
Aug 18, 2004
Yes you are good! Ready for the next question? (Kidding) It will be a while.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections