HC
Posted By
Holly_Colvin
Nov 24, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have Photoshop CS2 and I am trying to "fix" a photo. I’m using a tutorial,and it worked on a previous photo but seems to have quit on me.
I made a new layer from the original layer, used filter> other> high pass (set to 3.5) then image> adjustments>desaturate. Inverted the layer added a vector mask and inverted that as well. I set the blending mode to overlay, and the foreground color to white.

When I go to paint over the skin, nothing happens. I’m not sure if I have changed some setting accidentally or what, like I said, this did work for me earlier, but doesn’t now. When I hide the original layer, there is nothing!! I’m not very proficient in any area of photoshop, so if someone has an idea about what I’ve done, the more specific you can be the better!

I’ve closed the program and reopened it and it still does not work. I’m not sure what else to do! thanks for any help!!!

< http://www.photoshoptalent.com/photoshop-tutorials/how-to-sm ooth-a-skin.php?p=2> this is the tutorial I’m using, I’m on step 10.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JM
J_Maloney
Nov 24, 2008
Add a layer mask, not vector mask. I confuse them too, in the menus. Try clicking the layer mask button in the layers panel (to the right of the fx button).

J
HC
Holly_Colvin
Nov 25, 2008
I did actually use the layer mask, not the vector mask. I tried it again, and still does not work.
JM
J_Maloney
Nov 25, 2008
Is your brush set to normal blending? Opacity of brush at something reasonable (10-100%)? Opacity of overlay layer at 100%?

Try re-inverting the mask and see if the "blurred effect" reappears. If it doesn’t, then something is wrong with the overlay layer. Your steps seem OK (except the vector mask 😉 ).
HC
Holly_Colvin
Nov 25, 2008
Well, something worked! not sure what, exactly, but its working now! thank you for your help! I think it might have been that the brush mode was set to overlay also, instead of normal. I re-inverted it then changed it back again and then it worked! anyway, thank you again for your help!!!
JM
J_Maloney
Nov 25, 2008
I think it might have been that the brush mode was set to overlay also, instead of normal.

That was it. 🙂 Thanks for the link to the tut.

Folks: any comments on using inverted high pass as a blurring technique?
P
PECourtejoie
Nov 25, 2008
Why not, Gaussian Blur and High Pass are (evil) twins:
< http://tech-slop.serveit.org/wiki/index.php?title=Evil_Twins> (danger, rambling ahead!)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections