DG
Posted By
David G House
May 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been playing with the Selection Brush based on the tutorial found in this site for Elements. I am able to make the "selection" change to "mask" do see the selected area in a radish overlay, however am not able to do anything with it, I can change back to selection and cut, etc, I was wondering if I am doing anything wrong, or is there something I need to do first. I was able to complete the image with the effects I wanted, your opinions are welcomed. They can be found in the Web Album on my site.

www.freewebs.com/digital__photography

thanks all,

David

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CS
Cliff_Skidmore
May 23, 2004
David When you use the selection brush in mask mode, the area covered by the mask (reddish area) is a "protected" area and is not available to edit. You need to reverse the selection – SELECT>INVERSE. Now the rest of the photo is masked (and protected) and you are free to edit your original selection.

Cheers
Cliff
DG
David G House
May 26, 2004
Thanks Cliff….

Perhaps I wasn’t able to word my post to describe what was happening… I attempted both, keeping the masked portion and editing the remainder and SELECT>INVERSE again with no result. I will say though I am what you might call a "CLICKER"… so I am not sure if I did something I was not supposed to… If I am understanding correctly… once a portion of an image is "Selected" and
Masked" I should<b/> be able to do editing without having to "Cut and Paste" the portion I want untouched????

David
DG
David G House
May 26, 2004
ooooops looks like I forgot the HTML command for stopping BOLD…..
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 26, 2004
David, after your are through painting the rubith mask click ‘selection’ in the same option box where you clicked mask mode. The selection(marching ants)will be placed outside the area you masked. Then you can proceed to edit. Select inverse if you need to edit anypart of what was previously masked.
DG
David G House
May 26, 2004
I’ll give it a try Jodi… but what’s a "rubith"… not completely familiure with all the techno lingo… 🙂
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 26, 2004
Dave

Rubith is a term that goes back to the cut and paste days when you actually hand cut a mask that it was a red overlay. The red mask you paint over an image in Photoshop/Elements has retained the term rubith but of course we do not have to stick to red ;-).

Grant
DG
David G House
May 26, 2004
Ohhhhh… ok thanks Grant….. I hope you didn’t just age Jodi…. she after all dosen’t look a day over 25.. 😉

David
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 26, 2004
When one I first tried to guess her age I was not sure if I should have added 10 years for her wisdom or subtract 10 years for her beauty.

g.
DG
David G House
May 26, 2004
You’re a very wise man Grant
JB
John_Burnett_(JNB)
May 26, 2004
Jeeze, in MY day it was called RUBYLITH (none of this short-form stuff): "A separable two-layer acetate film of red or amber emulsion on a clear base. It has dozens of uses in graphics, most often for color separations by hand in the composition or stripping departments. Red masking film."

Anyone remember ‘VanDykes’?
DG
David G House
May 26, 2004
John… they’re making a come back….. (VanDykes).. 🙂
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 26, 2004
Jeeze, in MY day it was called RUBYLITH

Just thinking the same thing, John. You know, fun as PE/CS are, I do miss my Exacto Professional Swivel Knife. (Don’t miss the safety shoes, though.) 8^)
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 26, 2004
Grant is indeed a sweetheart <kiss>

I’ll be 40 this year on August 7th….born in ’64, year of the ‘dragon’. Gives you an idea of why my prefered subjects for my art seem to be cave dwellers. I love the warmth they exude but it’s never intentional. Just ends up that way.

John, that is what i meant…I’m a terrible speller and couldn’t care less about it 😉
JB
John_Burnett_(JNB)
May 26, 2004
Jodi: No problem. I thought the term might have ‘morphed’ and shortened as many seem to. It’s not a ‘dis’ (how I hate THAT new word).

Barbara: I’ve replaced all the giddy danger of Exacto’s with my Wusthof Grand Prix ‘granton-edge’ Santoku Chef’s knife. Curl those fingers under or lose ’em!

David: Really? Coming back? Are you talking about Dick and Jerry, or something in the Graphic Arts? 🙂
DG
David G House
May 26, 2004
Hmmm Aug 7th huh… making mental note as to a suggestion for the "Challenge"… :)..and BTW your making me feel a lil older at 44

Actually John I meant the beard style…. I do believe there is one called a "VanDyke"..
JB
John_Burnett_(JNB)
May 26, 2004
Oh, oh. Don’t say beards around Jodi! 🙂
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 26, 2004
Off with his head ! 🙂

no no no…don’t hate beards…just hate the ones that aren’t cared for…ya know…growing up cheeks and down neck. If I’m going to spend every other day shaving my legs, under my arms and bikini line then I expect my man to take care the same. yes, my hub has a beard.
JB
John_Burnett_(JNB)
May 26, 2004
Oh, so now my beard was ‘unkempt’, eh? (he says with tongue in unshaven cheek).

Next you’ll be saying you don’t like hairy backs! 🙂
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 26, 2004
< she doesn’t know what to say >
JB
John_Burnett_(JNB)
May 26, 2004
Not to worry, I’m just pulling your (silky-smooth, freshly-shaved) leg.
DG
David G House
May 26, 2004
Reading the last few posts wondering …

Should we start a new topic 😉

titled… "Silky Smooth Jodi"…. or "Unkept Hairy John"

🙂
J
jhjl1
May 26, 2004
You two have me rolling on the floor.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
"John_Burnett_ (JNB)" <@adobeforums.com> wrote in message
Not to worry, I’m just pulling your (silky-smooth, freshly-shaved)
leg.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
May 28, 2004
David, if you think that date makes you feel old….Jodi was born a month before I started college….
🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections