V
Posted By
VT
Oct 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
this is kinda driving me crazy. I know to set up a text layer and make it a clipping group, to mask off an image above it.

Used to be, in older versions of photoshop, you’d create a layer mask, make sure you are working on the mask via the layer pallette, then click the type tool, and type right inside the mask. viola.

now, version 7, it doesnt seem to work this way, even if i use a vector mask. as soon as i click the text tool to the canvas, i get text on a new layer.

is the clipping group think the only way to get a vector type mask now? I cant figure out a way to type text inside a mask…

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

V
VT
Oct 25, 2004
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:08:01 -0400, howldog wrote:

this is kinda driving me crazy. I know to set up a text layer and make it a clipping group, to mask off an image above it.

Used to be, in older versions of photoshop, you’d create a layer mask, make sure you are working on the mask via the layer pallette, then click the type tool, and type right inside the mask. viola.
now, version 7, it doesnt seem to work this way, even if i use a vector mask. as soon as i click the text tool to the canvas, i get text on a new layer.

is the clipping group think the only way to get a vector type mask now? I cant figure out a way to type text inside a mask…
I forgot to add, i know about the horizontal and vertical type mask, but arent those pixel based? I’m only interested in a vector type mask
E
edjh
Oct 25, 2004
howldog wrote:

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:08:01 -0400, howldog wrote:

I forgot to add, i know about the horizontal and vertical type mask, but arent those pixel based? I’m only interested in a vector type mask
How about Layer>Type> Convert to Shape (or Path) and Make Vector Mask form current Path. What you want is in there somewhere.

The old way was with the Type Mask tool which is pixel based.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
V
VT
Oct 26, 2004
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:52:26 GMT, edjh wrote:

How about Layer>Type> Convert to Shape (or Path) and Make Vector Mask form current Path. What you want is in there somewhere.

didnt think of that. good one.

thing is, it’s easier to just use the layers pallette and make the live vector text a clipping group.

I was just wondering if i was missing something, or, if my program was messed up… I cannot set type in a vector mask or a layer mask.
E
edjh
Oct 27, 2004
howldog wrote:
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:52:26 GMT, edjh wrote:

didnt think of that. good one.

thing is, it’s easier to just use the layers pallette and make the live vector text a clipping group.

I was just wondering if i was missing something, or, if my program was messed up… I cannot set type in a vector mask or a layer mask.
I don’t think anything is messed up. You can’t set type in a vector mask as far as I know but you can make type into a vector mask or a path. The way to set type in a layer mask is to make a selection of it or use the Type Mask tools. Since Layer Masks are all pixels it would be the same as inserting text into a regular layer.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections