KR
Posted By
Kelvin_Ritchie
Jul 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Trying to learn PSE 2.0. I don’t have much experience using photo editing software.

I have a photo of my dog taken indoors and her eyes have red eye or actually one eye is a little green and the other is orange, so I’d like to replace those colors with a darker or almost black color.

Using the red eye tool I’ve followed the directions in the book.

Select the tool.
Choose a brush size to one the is slightly larger than the area you want. I’ve chosen "First Click" from the sampling pop up menu. The replacement color is chosen but clicking on the Replacement color swatch. The Apple Color picker is what I have selected in PSE General preference. I slide the saturation bar down so the color is darker. The replacement swatch looks to be close to black.

I position the red eye brush over the pupil and click. Most of the pupil with the target color is changed but the pupil is the wrong color. It’s gray not black. If I change the replacement color in the color picker to something like blue, just to see if this tool works, then the pupil becomes blue.

I have moved the color picker cursor so it is supposed to be black in the replacement swatch yet the target color never gets darker than a medium gray color when I click on the target area. I’ve calibrated the color on this machine’s LCD.

This is so frustrating. This is the second major issue I’ve seen with this program, the first being PSE crashes on attaching a photo to Apple Mail using the Attache to Email feature.

Mac system is G4 iBook, 1.2ghz, 768ram, 10.3.4

Thanks for any help

Kelvin

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

KR
Kelvin_Ritchie
Jul 17, 2004
I played around with the burn tool and was able to darken the red eye brush tool results. Seems to me the red eye brush tool needs an enhancement to darken the area selected. I don’t understand why they design a tool like this and then you have to use other tools to get desired results.

I also found that if you use the Apple Color picker vs the Adobe color picker and you use "Current Color" to choose the target area color the cursor doesn’t change to an eyedrop tool as the instructions state. Using the Apple Color pick locks out the cursor changing to an eyedrop so you can select the target color. Might as well use first click feature when the Apple color picker is selected.

Thanks

Kelvin
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 17, 2004
Kelvin,

The Red Eye tool doesn’t work that well so the menthod I use is:

Select the red area plus a few pixels … feather a little. Make a new layer … and do each eye on a separate layer. Enhance>colour>hue & sat> … select red from the edit box and reduce saturation tozero or thereabouts
Enhance>Brightness & contrast>levels .. move the left hand marker in about a third of the way and move the centre marker over to the right until the area goes dark … not too far or it will look artificial.

It works quite well on both People and Animals.

For People if you want to change the colour of the iris then select the area and do Enhance>colour>hue & sat … that way you get to keep all of the different shades and it looks much more natural.

Wendy
KR
Kelvin_Ritchie
Jul 17, 2004
Thanks, I’ll have to read up on layers.

How do you selet the red area and surrounding pixels and then feather them.

Maybe I should ask which is a good PSE book to learn techniques. I think I can get the mechanics from the user manual but learning these tricks and how and when tools can be used is what confusing. I think a book that explores taking a sample photo and then doing corrections and some cool stuff would be a good resource.

Thanks

Kelvin
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jul 17, 2004
Try "50 Fast Digital Photo Techniques" by Gregory Georges. He provides a CD of the photos used in each chapter so you can work along with the book. It’s an excellent tutorial-based book.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jul 17, 2004
Here’s a comprehensive list of books prepared by Bob Warren of this forum; very useful to figuring out which ones may be right for you:

http://www.rewarren.com/challenge/books.htm
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 17, 2004
Kelvin,

To select the red areas and feather them. Select the lasso tool then look at the top of the screen … you will see feather. Set it for maybe 1 or 2 then use the lasso tool to go round the red area … you will get a sort of flashing border a lot of people call it "Marching Ants" and there you have your feathered selection.

Wendy
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jul 17, 2004
If you’re using iPhoto in conjunction with Elements you may wish to try iPhotos red eye removal tool. It works surprisingly well.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jul 17, 2004
If you’re using iPhoto in conjunction with Elements you may wish to try iPhotos red eye removal tool.

That’s what I use and you’re right Mark it does work well. I also second Barb’s book recommendation. "50 Fast" is very informative and I had lots of fun working through the individual lessons/techniques.

Joe
KR
Kelvin_Ritchie
Jul 17, 2004
Thanks everyone for the book suggestions. I’ll look for them.

I’ve been looking at that website posted above and I’m going through some of his tutorials.

I found another bug with PSE that causes a crash. I downloaded new recipes and when I went to the How To pallete to look to see if the new recipes were there PSE unexpectantly quit on me. Do you guys find that as new MacOS X releases and updates come out that PSE get buggier?

So lets see, don’t use the Attach to Email feature and down’t download recipes unless you save your work.

I guess Adobe doesn’t bother to with bug fixes between releases.

Thanks

Kelvin
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jul 17, 2004
Kelvin, if something in Elements works with one version of OS, then doesn’t work with the next version of OS, that sounds like an OS problem. Maybe the problem is with Apple, not Adobe…. I’ve been through a couple versions and multiple updates of Windows, and still no bugs with Elements.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jul 17, 2004
The recipes thing is not a known bug, Kelvin. May be something to do with your particular system.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jul 17, 2004
Or possibly a corrupt download.
J
jhjl1
Jul 17, 2004
Chuck you are treading on thin ice to suggest that anything Apple could be less than perfect. LOL I have been through 98SE, 2000 pro and XP home with no difficulties.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
Kelvin, if something in Elements works with one version of OS, then
doesn’t
work with the next version of OS, that sounds like an OS problem. Sounds like the problem is with Apple, not Adobe…. I’ve been
through a couple
versions and multiple updates of Windows, and still no bugs with
Elements.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 17, 2004
Kelvin,

The attach to email has been like that since the beginning so there hasn’t been any change there. Plus the downloading of recipes depends on how the Adobe site is running at any one time … and most of the time its difficult to download them. However once they are downloaded there usually isn’t any great problem with them .. once again this hasn’t changed since I first got Elements.

I’ve used Elements with OS8 right up to OS 10.3.3 and have not encountered any problems other than the two above, so I’m not sure why you think its getting buggier with each OS update. Actually it hasn’t changed …..

Wendy
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jul 17, 2004
James, I know…..

🙂

p.s. Elements has been the least buggy software I’ve ever used, bar none. Truly amazing!
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 17, 2004
Chuck,

Love that smile …. and us Mac users are watching you 🙂

Wendy
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jul 18, 2004
Chuck you are treading on thin ice to suggest that anything Apple could be less than perfect.

James, I know you’re joking but rest assured, as much we love our Macs we are not without plenty of complaints about Apple. They are far from perfect. But I think I’ll still keep my Mac.

Chuck,

I see you so often on these Mac threads that I’m starting to think you’re a closet wannabe switcher. Any Apple stores your neck of the woods?

And I’m also amazed at how unbuggy Photoshop Elements is considering the complexity of the program.
SS
Susan_S.
Jul 18, 2004
The only time I’ve ever had problems with Elements crashing were when I had insufficient RAM (256Mb was not enough for large files – 756 is much better) and when I was running it in Classic with certain rather buggy third party plugins. The only other problems I’ve had have been solved by the old "delete the preferences" routine – and I’ve only had to to that three times I think in nearly two years.
Susan S
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jul 18, 2004
Mark, I’m way too committed to Windows software and hardware; only if I hit the Texas Lottery will I consider a switch!

🙂
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 18, 2004
Chuck,

"Only if I hit the Texas Lottery will I consider a switch!"

We will hold you to that one BUT when you hit the big one and buy your new Mac you need to fly us all in to watch the big switch on 🙂

We could have an Adobe Elements convention and wouldn’t that be nice 🙂

Wendy
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 18, 2004
Wendy,

I’d even show up my new "6K $ smile…" for the occasion… (big grins!!)

Ray
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 18, 2004
Ray,

Chuck has gone very quiet … maybe he has already won 🙂

Wendy
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jul 18, 2004
Wendy, did I miss something?? Guess I have to go back through this thread!
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jul 18, 2004
OH! The lottery…. Nah, I’ll be heading off to work at 5:45 a.m. tomorrow as usual….

🙁
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jul 19, 2004
Tell you what Chuck, I haven’t checked my Powerball ticket yet but if it’s a winner, I’m buying you a G5 and one of those new gargantuan 30" High Def Cinema displays < http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore. woa/71902/wo/Es2ZYlOhhlM72PupysnsN3iDs5x/0.0.7.1.0.6.21.1.2. 1.3.0.0.1.030> (I know you need the space on your desktop 😉 ).

Joe
KR
Kelvin_Ritchie
Jul 19, 2004
Thanks for everyones comments. this is my first Mac since the 7.6 days and my first laptop and my first experience with Mac OS X. I guess I was unfortunate to stumple upon a couple of bugs the first few hours of using Photoshop Elements. I did use it the remainder of the day playing around with some tutorials about using Layers etc. At least when it does crash nothing else with the system or other running apps are affected.

However it would be nice to have someone fix these issues.

Kelvin
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jul 19, 2004
Kelvin, what we are trying to tell you is that except for "attach to e-mail" PE shouldn’t be crashing. There is something wrong if it is. It’s a very stable program in both OS X and win XP.

What system maintenance have you done? Do you repair permissions, run macjanitor?
KR
Kelvin_Ritchie
Jul 19, 2004
No, PSE isn’t crashing on me unless I do the Attach to Email feature and that one time I downloaded the Recipes. Sorry for not making it clear. It’s been stable just trying out the tools and trying to understand layers.

That’s another area I’ll have to read up on is OSX troubleshooting. I’ve run Repair Permissions to see what it does but haven’t bothered to read anything else. So far I’ve only rebooted it a couple of times in a month, once after downloading all the Apple updates, 10.3.4 etc, and once after the PSE Attach to Email issues. I thought it might be prudent. Other than that, the iBook just sleeps when not in use.

Thank you.

Kelvin
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jul 19, 2004
The only other thing you need to do is go to versiontracker or macupdate and download MacJanitor. UNIX (which X is) has some housekeeping chores it runs in the wee hours of the AM and they don’t get done if your computer sleeps or is shut down.

MacJanitor is a free GUI to let you do these manually whenever you want. You just click a button. If you just run "all tasks" about twice a month you should be fine.
RH
Ron Hunter
Jul 19, 2004
wrote:

Kelvin, if something in Elements works with one version of OS, then doesn’t work with the next version of OS, that sounds like an OS problem. Maybe the problem is with Apple, not Adobe…. I’ve been through a couple versions and multiple updates of Windows, and still no bugs with Elements.

I consider the way in which the red eye tool makes pupils grey rather than black a MAJOR BUG.
And it appears to apply to all versions.

There are a few more I have found, if you need them.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections