Droplet: Save as JPEG relative path (WTF!?)

MM
Posted By
Matthew_Mirande
Nov 12, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey all –
I can’t seem to get my droplet working here… using CS3 on PC. Seems like I always hit this problem and have to solve it differently each time.

Anyway, dead simple goal: Create a droplet that converts any file to a JPEG and saves it back to the original file’s directory.

So, if I drag a .gif file from my desktop on to the droplet, it should save a .jpg file with the same name to my desktop. If I drag a file named "testfile.gif" from a folder named "Test", it should create a file named "testfile.jpg" to the "Test" folder. etc, etc.

I have recorded an Action that has a single event: Export. I created that event by using the "Save for Web & Devices" function. The event includes the various JPEG formatting info AS WELL AS a save destination ("In: C:\Documents…")

I have tried to create my droplet every which way – specifically:
1) With "Save and Close" selected and "Override Action "Save As" Commands" unchecked
2) With "Save and Close" selected and "Override Action "Save As" Commands" checked

I have also deleted the droplet .exe file before changing this setting (so as to get a "fresh" version).

Nothing works. My .gif files ALWAYS end up in the directory specified in the Action.

Um, Help?

thanks in advance!
matt

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MM
Matthew_Mirande
Nov 17, 2008
no takers on this one?
FM
Fred M Stevens
Nov 18, 2008
I’m pretty sure that you can’t make that happen with a droplet.

You’ll probably need to use a script to do that automatically.

see [http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/04/new_photoshop_s.html] for links to some of the free scripts already made, and some resources for making your own.

making a script of your own is fairly simple, although I have some experience with JavaScript as part of some web development I used to do, so maybe I’m biased.

in any case, see [http://photo.net/learn/photoshop/], [http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tutorials/jennifer/photosho p-scripts.html], or just search "photoshop script" in an internet search engine to find more.
DR
Danny_Raphael
Nov 18, 2008
To make a long story short, when Export/Save for Web is recorded in an action, PS will save the file in the folder specified when the SFW command was recorded — no matter what combination of Destination options you specify to the contrary in the Create Droplet or Batch dialogs.

Don’t shoot the messinger. This is how it’s worked since PS 5.5.

—-

The following appears to meet your needs, but lacks the file size optimization that Export provides. There are always tradeoffs, aren’t there?

* Open any "non-.jpg" file, e.g., .psd or .tif

Record new action
* File > Save as .jpg …save to any folder or desktop (makes no difference) ….do NOT change file name
….specify .jpg compression setting
….OK to save file, close dialog
* File > close
* STOP recording

Create Droplet
* Destination: Save and close
* (x) Override action ‘save as’ commands

Hope this helps…

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections