RP
Posted By
Richard_Pulliam
Oct 16, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I tried to create some new How Tos in CS3 and recieved the following error message when I try to open it:

"The Adobe Help application could not load a URL because the specified file could not be found. You may need to re-install the application and the help component."

If I access one of the ones created with CS2 it opens (I dragged them over from CS2, I have since removed CS2 from this computer, it’s still on my laptop) I haven’t tried creating them and importing them to this computer).

I’m using Microsoft Office Word 2003 to save the How Tos as html files, and notepad to edit Add_001.howto file.

Since I gotten this error, I reloaded CS3 Design Standard, it didn’t fix the problem. Also I have ensured that the Add_001.howto file points to the right location (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Help\additional how to content)and is in the right format:
"John Shaws CS3" "47. A GLOSSARY OF IMAGING TERMS" 47.html (works). "Noise Ninja" "The Thirty Second Guide to Noise Ninja" Noise Ninja 001.html (doesn’t work)

The only thing new on the computer is a brand spanking new EVGA NVidia Geforce 9500GT PCI express(512 mb ddr2 dual DVI output) with the latest drivers. It replaced NVidia GeForce 6600GS and Matrox Millenium video cards (the Matrox). The new video card does not include some program that allows it to run MS-DOS programs, but I don’t feel that is causing the problem.

System Info:

Photoshop CS3 10.0.1

Computer: Gateway DX310X with Gateway FPD1975W and FPD1730 monitors Windows XP Media Center Edition, Service Pack 3
Intel Pentium D proccessor
1GB internal memory
168GB of free space on hard drive.

I hope I have given you suffiecient information to give me some possible solutions.

Thanks
Rick

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

M
Mylenium
Oct 16, 2008
Perhaps an issue with Windows Indexing service (WMI)? I would check this (right-click the drive, check its properties), as often Windows will use cached URLs and directory info with the service active and those may not refresh properly. Short of that I can’t think of much, but admittedly I consider long file names with lots of spaces and special characters problematic. Can you replace the spaces with underscores and see if it works? Perhaps the names get truncated somewhere internally due to the spaces…

Mylenium
RP
Richard_Pulliam
Oct 17, 2008
Mylenium

Thanks for the assist.
It isn’t a Windows Indexing Service problem.

It is an operator problem. As you pointed out the long name and spacing are the issue here.

I changed the the Add_001.howto file from:
"Noise Ninja" "The Thirty Second Guide to Noise Ninja" Noise Ninja 001.html

to:
"Noise Ninja" "The Thirty Second Guide to Noise Ninja" NN001.html

I changed the file in the Additional How To Content folder, to match.

And it works now.

Now that I know what was wrong with my file names, I’ll be able to get the various plugin help files/documents into Photoshop so I won’t have to get out of it to get help on them.

Thanks
Rick
M
Mylenium
Oct 17, 2008
Glad my guessing helped. 😉

Mylenium

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections