How to create selection size and use many times?

L
Posted By
lauravanhoff
Nov 4, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi

I have to resize hundreds of photos to a particular odd size. I would usually just use an action script for this. But because I have to make them an odd size, I need to see each photo and crop by hand. It would be REALLY handy if I could use a selection box to crop which is always the same height.

In other words, right now, I go to image – image size – and make the image width what it needs to be, 720 px. Then I use the crop tool to cut it down to 250 px high. But to do this, I sort of guess at the right height for the crop selection, then have to go to canvas size, and make the canvas height 250 to get just right.

It would save a lot of time and headache, if, when I selected the crop tool, the height could be set to 250 px high, so that I could crop get the right bit of the photo in the reduced "window" of the crop. I want to have the height of the crop selection area be 250 px high, and be able to move that set sixe crop selection area around to select just the right area of the photo to keep rather than go back and forth with the canvas size ten times to get just the right area selected.

Kind of confusing….hope this question makes sense. Any ideas please? Would be very grateful!

Thanks
Laura

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DR
Donald_Reese
Nov 4, 2008
Am i missing the obvious here? why dont you just enter 720 px x 250 px in the crop options and select the area you need each time. you can move the crop box around
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Nov 4, 2008
HI Laura,

I’m not completely clear on your need but I wondered if you had considered setting up the crop tool and saving it as a tool preset?
R
Ram
Nov 4, 2008
You can even save a New Crop Tool Preset.

(Unless, as Donald says, I’m missing the obvious?)
L
lauravanhoff
Nov 4, 2008
OMG I’m such a dunce…I didn’t even notice that you could enter in values for the size…THANK YOU! That was exactly what I wanted to know how to do…sorry for the bother… πŸ™‚ And thank you so much for pointing out the obvious…sometimes I guess what is obvious is not so obvious after all πŸ™‚

Thanks! Problem solved!
B
Buko
Nov 4, 2008
write an action use image processor in Bridge
ML
Mark_Larsen
Nov 4, 2008
write an action, toggle the dialog on for the FAR crop step only, batch run, drag position the crop box manually keystroke return doneΒ…
L
lauravanhoff
Nov 6, 2008
Great…thanks so much!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections