How to reduce file size of JPEG photo for web use?

R
Posted By
raycatlett
Nov 18, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do I adjust a 2.69 mb JPEG photo to be 50 kb or less so it can be used on a website?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

NS
Nancy_S
Nov 18, 2003
Ray,

Go to File>Save for Web. There are many options in there from which to choose. The amount of compression is selectable, the higher the compression, the smaller the file size but with less quality. You decide which is good enough considering your size requirements.
JH
Jim_Hess
Nov 18, 2003
The method I usually use is to use Image/resize. This will present a dialog box where you can change the dimensions of the picture as well as the resolution. At the risk of starting another one of these long winded discussions about resolution, you should set the resolution somewhere between 72 and 100 PPI.. Then, set the dimensions of your picture so that it will be suitable for displaying on the Web. Hopefully, someone with more information will add to this thread.
J
jhjl1
Nov 18, 2003
If you use save for web it will easily allow you to change the dimensions of the document as well as compress the document to a file size that is suitable. You can’t change the ppi from here but the ppi has no bearing on the size of your file or the way it displays on a monitor. The quickest way for me is to resize the document by percent.

Have A Nice Day,
jwh 🙂
My Pictures
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
wrote in message
How do I adjust a 2.69 mb JPEG photo to be 50 kb or less so it
can be used on a website?
J
jhjl1
Nov 18, 2003
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 19, 2003
James, I use Save for Web almost exclusively for ‘web-sizing’ and I set the New Size in pixels to 800 by 600 or thereabouts, then use the slider on Quality until I get down to the desired size in KB as shown under the right-hand picture in the Save for Web box. Very quick!
JK
JAMES KING
Nov 19, 2003
Everyone has great ideas and they all work. I have learned by trial and error to do a couple of things in order first.
I always reduce the number of colors by trial and effort until I still retain a quality picture, I then pick a compression value which also keeps the quality satisfactory, and if you have Macromedia Flash you can import the file into a single frame of flash convert to a Shockwave flash file while keeping the compression at high quality within flash and publishing the shockwave flash file to be viewed in your browser. If you like the quality at this point you may want to do a screen capture of the image displayed on the computer using print screen and then you can paste that file as a new image within any graphics editing program, and then use the selection tool to capture only the image itself from the original screen capture and discard all of the surrounding graphic, then paste as a new image. If you find after saving this image that the image is acceptable to you, you then have the choice of saving to the web, and / or reducing the size of the image while maintaining the correct ratio and proportions. Any combination of the above can be helpful to some extent, or you can do them all. Sometimes I have even repeated the process and received an even smaller file that was acceptable for the purpose I was using it for. Sometimes if you are only looking to create a small image with good quality you can create certain large sized large thumbnails of the original within Dreamweaver and Fireworks using Dreamweaver to command Fireworks to create them for you and a variety of other graphics programs can do the same. I had a good day today compared to most others and could remember some of what I have usually forgotten. I hope this helps. Good luck! James

wrote in message
How do I adjust a 2.69 mb JPEG photo to be 50 kb or less so it can be used
on a website?
J
jhjl1
Nov 19, 2003
That is an excellent and fast way to do it. I like percent because I can visualize the size I need for a particular situation quicker than I can calculate it. While working with any particular image I am paying attention to the specs on the top of the window (mainly what % I am currently viewing) than I just enter a percent to get it to proper size. By the way I really enjoyed your self-portraits.

Have A Nice Day,
jwh 🙂
My Pictures
J
jhjl1
Nov 19, 2003
Chuck: Just for clarity I use the percent in save for web if the image needs compressing and I use percent in image resize if no compression is needed. In no case do I change the ppi for web use from whatever it may be set at.

Have A Nice Day,
jwh 🙂
My Pictures
R
raycatlett
Nov 19, 2003
Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Ray
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Nov 19, 2003
I’d just like to make one comment: The resolution setting is totally irrelevant for monitor viewing. The only thing that matters is pixels. Resolution is completely ignored by the monitor. As others have stated, resample the image to somewhere around 800×600 pixels if you want a full-screen image that will fit on most people’s monitors.
Bert

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections