how to you create a layer mask with fade effects of 2 angles?

L
Posted By
liu
Sep 14, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have photo that I’d like to fade into the background. Usually, I create a layer mask and use gradient tool to draw from black to white. It create a smooth gradient to fade the image to background. This time I need both the top and left of the image to mix with the background. I can only have 1 layer mask and gradient tool can only go at one direction. How do I do the mask trick on the top and left side of my image?

thanks for the help,

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
Joel
Sep 14, 2009
liu wrote:

I have photo that I’d like to fade into the background. Usually, I create a layer mask and use gradient tool to draw from black to white. It create a smooth gradient to fade the image to background. This time I need both the top and left of the image to mix with the background. I can only have 1 layer mask and gradient tool can only go at one direction. How do I do the mask trick on the top and left side of my image?

thanks for the help,

I hardly ever use the gradient tool (only played with it to know little more about it) to know how well it works. But I use Quick Mask command on most of my retouching, and depending on the effect I just use

– The Brush SIZE

– The Brush Soft/Hard option

– And one of the most important parts if the OPACITY

And I have no idea how large the background your photo may be, how smooth you wanna blend etc.. So I assume it’s a large background to get rid of, or this way I give more than one tip

– To remove the background completely I set the Opacity to higher percentage. Like 50-100%, I rather apply 3-4 of 50% than 100%

– When it’s getting closer to the image, I adjust the Brush SIZE with comination of the OPACITY for smooth blending.

– I apply the same techique to both TOP and BOTTOM, you can do the same to Left, Right, right in the Middle, anywhere you want like far Left/Right far Top/Bottom it doesn’t matter.
L
liu
Sep 14, 2009
– To remove the background completely I set the Opacity to higher percentage.  Like 50-100%, I rather apply 3-4 of 50% than 100%
– When it’s getting closer to the image, I adjust the Brush SIZE with comination of the OPACITY for smooth blending.

– I apply the same techique to both TOP and BOTTOM, you can do the same to Left, Right, right in the Middle, anywhere you want like far Left/Right far Top/Bottom it doesn’t matter.

Thanks for the tip. I think it’s great for irregular shapes. I will try that in the future. I also found a solution to my problem. After getting one side done using gradient. I use rectangular tool on the other and apply feather. It achieve a better result than gradient.
F
Fred
Sep 17, 2009

thanks for the help,

Use the gradient preset ‘foreground to transparent’ (2nd one) Set your foreground color to black.
DJ
david johnson
Sep 18, 2009
one of the not so good things i found re ps. anyway, you have to repeat the process as you did the fdirst time, but you have to apply the previous one.

as soon as you have applied it, the reveal all, ( i never worked that wording out either ) appear again

Thu, 17 Sep 2009 12:11:25 +0200, "Fred" wrote:

thanks for the help,

Use the gradient preset ‘foreground to transparent’ (2nd one) Set your foreground color to black.
F
Fred
Sep 20, 2009
one of the not so good things i found re ps. anyway, you have to repeat the process as you did the fdirst time, but you have to apply the previous one.

as soon as you have applied it, the reveal all, ( i never worked that wording out either ) appear again

Sorry, but I don’t understand what you are trying to say?

This is the process I’m talking about:

-set your foreground color to black
-Make sure you are on a regular layer (not a background layer!) -Click the mask icon in the layers panel
-apply the foreground (black) to transparent gradient on one side -apply the foreground (black) to transparent gradient on another side Done!

A white mask reveals all, a black one hides all. There’s really nothing more to it.

thanks for the help,

DJ
david johnson
Sep 21, 2009
On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 15:10:27 +0200, "Fred" wrote:

Sorry, but I don’t understand what you are trying to say?
This is the process I’m talking about:

-set your foreground color to black
-Make sure you are on a regular layer (not a background layer!) -Click the mask icon in the layers panel
-apply the foreground (black) to transparent gradient on one side -apply the foreground (black) to transparent gradient on another side Done!

A white mask reveals all, a black one hides all. There’s really nothing more to it.

thanks for the help,

you used the panels, my way was through the drop down menus, thats the only difference i see, but either way i don’t see anyway of doing another mask until you applied the previuos one, I guess there is another mask icon i missed somewhere you are reffering to, not the mask layer one

i am intrigued to find a quicker way to do it then i have been using it, looks like i missed something
F
Fred
Sep 21, 2009
you used the panels, my way was through the drop down menus, thats the only difference i see, but either way i don’t see anyway of doing another mask until you applied the previuos one, I guess there is another mask icon i missed somewhere you are reffering to, not the mask layer one

i am intrigued to find a quicker way to do it then i have been using it, looks like i missed something

Ok, I get it!
You want to work on several masks on one layer?
You can only add a vector mask if the layer already has a raster mask (or vice versa)
But…

You can load the mask you work on as a selection (CMD or CTRL click on the mask icon) and save that as a new alpha channel.
Then delete the mask.
Make a new one and repeat.
When you have all the channels (masks) you want, you can load them as selections and fill your new mask with black (or white)

Simpler would be to just work on one mask. If you’re painting with black on it, just switch to white if you make a mistake.

Selections, channels, masks, quick mask and even paths all relate to eachother. They are the building blocks of Photoshop!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections