Newbie: How do I create transparency around JPEG images?

J
Posted By
JasonHarris
Jul 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I’m trying to create a small photo collage of products. I’ve been using both Illustrator CS and Photoshop CS, and I ultimately want the collage to end up in a flyer I’m creating in Illustrator. However, I’m not pushing the right buttons, because I keep ending up with individual photos that have bounding boxes with white backgrounds around each photo/product. These white backgrounds are obscuring the product behind it, regardless which one I place in front.

When I use the Magic Wand tool in PS and am able to highlight only the product, I can’t drag it over to Illustrator. Whenever I try cut and paste or dragging to Illustrator, the photo seems to revert back to a square bounding box around the product AND the white background that surrounds it. That white background then covers whatever is behind it on the page, whether photos of the other products or text. And, since it’s a square box it creates sharp "cuts" into the photo behind it. It’s creating a very jarring collage. I opened a new file in PS and tried to create the collage of products on this page after highlighting with the Magic Wand and then cutting and pasting, but that didn’t create the desired effect. I’d just like to have three to four products "resting" on each other. Any ideas?

I know this is a rather newbie question, but any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jason

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
BobLevine
Jul 21, 2004
JPG doesn’t support transparency. Save as PSD.

Bob

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections