Posted By
Phyllis_Utter
May 5, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out here: I’ve created a Photoshop document with some stylized text (gradient overlays), and I need for this to be transparent. If I save it as a PSD file it retains the transparency when I add it to InDesign. However, I’d like to keep the text as vector if possible (I have not rasterized it). I know I’d have to use a Photoshop PDF for that, but I can’t figure out how to make a PDF transparent. Should I be trying to go through Illustrator somehow? Or stick with the rasterized type? Hope that makes sense.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Phyllis

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BL
Bob Levine
May 5, 2008
Save as PDF for use in InDesign.

Bob
PU
Phyllis_Utter
May 5, 2008
Tried but I lose the transparency. I guess PDFs can’t be transparent?
BL
Bob Levine
May 5, 2008
Be sure to select show options when placing the PDF.

Bob
PU
Phyllis_Utter
May 5, 2008
I checked that (and set it to transparent), but it still makes it white. I guess it flattens the Photoshop document which makes it no longer transparent? My original document was just on a transparent background in Photoshop. I tried a clipping path just now, but there’s no option to save that into the PDF (as far as I can tell). I’m guessing I need to switch to Illustrator if I need transparency on a vector?

Thanks, Phyllis
BL
Bob Levine
May 5, 2008
What are your settings when saving as PDF? Transparency does work with PDF.

Bob
PU
Phyllis_Utter
May 5, 2008
Aha! It was a PDF setting to convert the colors to destination that was the problem. I never even noticed that. Once it was at "No Conversion" it became transparent. 🙂 Much better results in the final document!

Thanks for your help.

Phyllis

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections