SB
Posted By
Scott_Bruno
Sep 10, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a Photoshop CS3 file with 2 layers that use vector masks. I saved the file as an .eps and checked "Include Vector Data." I placed the .eps in an InDesign document. On screen everything looks fine, but if I print to PDF the vector mask layers are missing; likewise if I open/rasterize the .eps file in Photoshop the vector mask layers are gone. It prints fine if I place the original .psd file in the InDesign doc. Any ideas why .eps doesn’t appear to save the vector data? Thanks…

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

SW
Scott_Weichert
Sep 11, 2008
if I open/rasterize the .eps file in Photoshop the vector mask layers are gone

Think about that, Scott. You are rasterizing the file upon opening it, yet expect vector data. It’s not going to happen.

What version of PDF are you exporting to?

How are you coming to the conclusion that the PDF has lost its vector data?

What version of Indesign?

Vector data remains in files, round trip from PS to ID to PDF, here using EPS format from Photoshop.
SB
Scott_Bruno
Sep 11, 2008
Thanks for the response. What I meant to say re: opening/rasterizing the eps is that the vector mask layers aren’t rasterized – ie when I open the eps in photoshop the flattened image doesn’t include the rasterized vector data.

I’m creating the PDF from InDesign CS3 by printing to ps and distilling with Distiller 8.1.2.

The reason I’m saying the PDF doesn’t include the vector data is simple: I can see that the imagery from the vector layers is gone. My conclusion is that, when saving my psd file as an eps, the vector data is being discarded, even though I’ve checked "Include Vector Data."
B
Buko
Sep 11, 2008
I have a Photoshop CS3 file with 2 layers that use vector masks. I saved the file as an .eps

eps files do not support layers. eps is an old format move into the 21st century and stop using eps.

Photoshop rasters eps files on opening it also rasters PDF files not made in Photoshop. When we say Photoshop rasters these files we mean that if the file had any vector data in it as soon as you open it in Photoshop it gets rastered and is not there any more because it is rastered.
SB
Scott_Bruno
Sep 11, 2008
I understand that eps doesn’t support layers, and that vector data will be rasterized if I open the eps in photoshop. That’s not the issue; the issue is the vector layer data is being *discarded* and is not making it through the workflow: eps placed into an InDesign document and distilled to PDF.

Update: I merged all layers in the psd file except for 1 vector layer & saved as an eps. When I reopened the eps in photoshop, it tells me it’s rasterizing eps data, but when the file opens the imagery from the vector layer is missing. Likewise, if I place the eps in InDesign and distill a pdf, the imagery from the vector layer is missing, even though it appears in the onscreen preview in InDesign. Maybe something is screwy with that mask?
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 11, 2008
Why not keep the PSD format for your InDesign document?

Neil
SB
Scott_Bruno
Sep 11, 2008
From now on, I will use the psd file in InDesign and skip the extra step of creating an eps (old habits die hard…)

Okay, I deleted and recreated the offending mask – that seems to have solved the problem. Strange that the original photoshop file worked fine but the eps did not, but at least the problem is solved. Thanks for all the advice.
B
Buko
Sep 11, 2008
PSD files do not transfer Vector data when placed in ID file save the file from Photoshop as a Photoshop PDF. Be sure to retain edibility so you can reopen the file without rastering it.

the Photoshop PDF will retain all vector elements including type when placed in an ID file and exported to PDF.
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 11, 2008
Buko,

PSD files do not transfer Vector data when placed in ID file

I understand what you’re saying about Photoshop PDFs. But Scott says in his original post:

It prints fine if I place the original .psd file in the InDesign doc

Neil
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 11, 2008
but if I print to PDF the vector mask layers are missing; likewise if I open/rasterize the .eps file in Photoshop the vector mask layers are gone. It prints fine if I place the original .psd file in the InDesign doc. Any ideas why .eps doesn’t appear to save the vector data? Thanks…

Pick a PDF version that supports vector object in raster data.

Print to a Printer that supports Postscript.

Send the file to a RIP that supports level 3 Postscript and does not separate vector from raster data.
B
Buko
Sep 11, 2008
a PSD placed in ID will print raster data. If you want vector place a PS PDF.
SB
Scott_Bruno
Sep 11, 2008
Buko: so PDF is the preferred format for any photoshop files w/ vector layers? Do you also save as PDF for non-vector photoshop files, or is TIF okay?
B
Buko
Sep 11, 2008
PSD is my preferred format

I use PDF for vector elements

Tiff is pretty much the same as PSD except you can save upto 4GB

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections