Saving CS3 while installing a new motherboard and CPU?

HG
Posted By
Howard_Goldberg
Feb 17, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Gentlemen and Ladies,

I am about to purchase a Canon 5D MkII to replace my 6 megapixel D10 which has become very long in the tooth. Given the size of the images the 5D will produce (21 megapixels)and the fact that the CS3 ARC will not recognize the D5 MkII raw files I will need to upgrade from CS3 to CS4.
For CS4 to operate eficiently I need to upgrade my board so the computer will take one of the better recommended video cards. I’ll also be upgrading from a Pentium 4 to a current dual processor.

All of this leads to the question – How can I transfer or reload my CS3 (It was an upgrade) to the new system so I can upgrade from it to CS4?

Anxious in Northwest Florida!!

AKA Bob Goldberg

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CY
curt_young
Feb 17, 2009
If you want to move your program to another computer deactivate it first. Click on Help file.
HG
Howard_Goldberg
Feb 17, 2009
I forgot to mention several things. The computer conversion will be done professionally along with the re installation of Windows MX.

I should be trying to re-load CS3 on a fully functional machine. It is from this point that I need help.

Bob Goldberg
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Feb 17, 2009
Howard,

You can directly install the CS3 upgrade. If the installer can’t find a previous version installed, it asks you to temporarily insert the previous media.

BTW, maybe you think you have to upgrade PS and the MoBo for the sake of the 5Dmk2, but you can also convert the camera files to DNG using Adobe DNG converter (free), and those files can be read by your Camera Raw version.

Rob
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 17, 2009
the re installation of Windows MX.

there’s no such thing as windows MX. you mean XP? 😉 anywho, just be sure before you hand it over to the technician, do as curt says and click Help> Deactivate from within photoshop to deactivate your current installation.
F
Freeagent
Feb 17, 2009
there’s no such thing as windows MX

I hear that’s the new retail name for Windows 7, as the proud successor to Windows ME…

….just kidding! ouch! stop hitting me!
HG
Howard_Goldberg
Feb 17, 2009
Curt,

Thanks for the tip, I’ll be sure to deactivate.

Rob,
How far back must the older version be. I have been upgrading since 5.5. Will this work using a disk from CS2 which is also an upgrade?
The current machine is struggling now with CS4.
Also I use Painter X and hopefully I won’t have to brew a cup of coffee while the brush stroke completes it self.
I did know about the DNG conversion but thanks for reminding me.

Dave,
Old age (75) screws up your mind. I knew there was a X in there but I have no idea where the M came from. XP it is! Thanks for the correction, I truly need all the help I can get.

To all,
The promptness of your replies are astounding! Thanks to all.

Bob Goldberg
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Feb 17, 2009
Bob,

Use the most recent one for verivication, doesn.t matter if that’s an upgrade too. (so yes: CS2 should do that).

Also, what completely killed all lag I had was go to Preferences > Performance, switch ON the OpenGL, but switch off everything under the button "Advanced".

Also, having rulers off makes canvas moves more smooth.

Rob
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 17, 2009
Thanks for the correction, I truly need all the help I can get.

<laughing> anytime howard! 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections