Posted By
Jean Larson
Feb 16, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I have Adobe Photoshop 5.0 and do not use it very often but I have been reading my old book and can’t find any help on my problem.

I have a picture of a "cheese steak hat" that I found on the internet with a man’s head with it. I selected the hat and then cropped the man right out of the graphic.

Now what I am trying to do is use this hat and paste it on top of other people’s heads.

When I try to merge the two pictures together the white space around the graphic gets in the way.

Is there a way to get rid of the white space around the cheesecake hat so I can paste it so it doesn’t cover the top part of the face?

Thank you for your help.

Any help will be appreciated.

Jean

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

C
Charley
Feb 16, 2008
Open both photos and place them so you can see at least part of the person photo but the whole cheesecake photo. Select the cheesecake, then using the move tool move it onto the photo of the person. It will become a layer (only the cheesecake) on top of the photo of the person. Only the cheesecake should move from the first photo. Once it is on the person photo you can close the cheesecake photo (where it came from) as you won’t need it anymore. Now you will be able to position/transform/etc. the cheesecake to make it fit properly on the head of the person without affecting in any whay the photo of the person that is under the cheesecake (it’s like the cheesecake is sitting on a layer of clear plastic on top of the photo). After you have it on this new layer over the person you can adjust it in any way that you want without affecting the photo of the person. Use the layers pallet to select either the cheesecake or the man if you should need to make adjustments to both (one at a time). Save it as a PSD file if you might ever want to go back and make more changes to it. If you save it as a JPG you won’t have this ability any more. The two images will become one permanent layer.

Charley
"Jean Larson" wrote in message
Hello,

I have Adobe Photoshop 5.0 and do not use it very often but I have been reading my old book and can’t find any help on my problem.
I have a picture of a "cheese steak hat" that I found on the internet with a man’s head with it. I selected the hat and then cropped the man right out of the graphic.

Now what I am trying to do is use this hat and paste it on top of other people’s heads.

When I try to merge the two pictures together the white space around the graphic gets in the way.

Is there a way to get rid of the white space around the cheesecake hat so I can paste it so it doesn’t cover the top part of the face?
Thank you for your help.

Any help will be appreciated.

Jean
KN
kiwireviews.nz
Feb 17, 2008
Though this is an excellent walk-thru on how to merge two images, it is NOT what Jean asked about.

Jean: Easiest way is to use the magic wand to select all the white outside the cheese steak (make sure to select ‘contiguous’ option, to stop it also grabbing the white inside the cheese) and just hit ‘delete’. Because it will be in a new layer, it will delete the white and leave it transparent.

Another option, and easier IMHO, is if PS5 supports blending mode, select your cheese steak layer and set the blending mode to ‘multiply’, which will turn ALL white into see-thru transparent. Then you can create a new layer under that with a coloured shape to match the cheese… giving you not only no white block covering faces, but also the abilit to give your cheese colour and shading without damaging the original.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections