J
Posted By
JimmyG
Dec 18, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop CS3 continually locks up on me.

I am currently running CS3 under Vista. This exact problem occurred while running under Windows XP. When I try to "save-as" any open image in CS3, the save-as window flashes on screen for about a tenth of a second, then my title bars gray-out. Clicking on anything is fruitless, & the only way to close the program is through Windows Task Manager.

I have spent HOURS on the phone with both Photoshop and Microsoft support. After deletion & reinstall of CS3, the problem persisted.

Microsoft had me try modifying the startup files in MSCONFIG with no success. They then had me create a new profile in Windows. Under the new profile I was able to use CS3 successfully.until the program proceeded to duplicate the above behavior.

I bought a new camera, new computer & am running a new operating system, Vista. This problem has persisted.

Virus scans have been negative.

I get a great deal of enjoyment and piece of mind out of taking pictures. This has brought that to a screeching halt.

Please, .I need no comments on how bad Vista is, or how annoying Symantec problems are, or other peanut gallery comments. I don’t need any "RTFM" comments. "Switch to Apple" comments are not of any help (Although I’ve considered that). All I really need is considerate, thoughtful help and direction.
Thank you very much for your suggestions.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JH
Juergen Heinzl
Dec 23, 2007
JimmyG schrieb:

I am currently running CS3 under Vista. This exact problem occurred while running under Windows XP. When I try to "save-as" any open image in CS3, the save-as window flashes on screen for about a tenth of a second, then my title bars gray-out. Clicking on anything is fruitless, & the only way to close the program is through Windows Task Manager.

You actually may have a hardware related problem. I mean right now I’ve got both, PS CS2 as well as PS CS3, installed on my XP Pro machine which is certainly pretty loaded (Bluetooth keyboard & mouse, graphics tablet, TV card, Nero, you name it …) and both versions just plain work.

Please, .I need no comments on how bad Vista is, or how annoying Symantec problems are, or other peanut gallery comments. I don’t need any "RTFM" comments. "Switch to Apple" comments are not of any help

Apple’s OS/X does have issues on its own (certain scanners, I’ve got two different models, not working anymore for instance) and is certainly not the solution to all problems — just a new set of problems for which you need to find solutions for.

(Although I’ve considered that). All I really need is considerate, thoughtful help and direction.
Thank you very much for your suggestions.

As usual firstly the question whether there are any messages of interest in the system’s logs and secondly there are a few programs, often free, to more or less thoroughly test a machine.

The problem is that is is often hard to tell what’s the cause for it could be everything — "not quite working as supposed to" RAM modules, corroded contacts the CPU running hot due to a fan clogged by dust, a defective motherboard (capacitors slowly going south are a not quite uncommon issue), …

For now though I’d propose though you start with, carefully, cleaning the insides of your machine followed by disabling any graphics acceleration functionality followed by switching slots of any installed cards so esp. the HD and graphics card get enough fresh air to breathe followed by running some application to test your hardware followed by hoping to get a new machine for X-mas 8-}

Some combination of software certainly often is the cause for problems but that all hardware out there would be working according to official specifications is, in reality and unfortunately, so much of a nice dream that one often wonders how things can work as well as they do at all, really.

Cheers,
Juergen

I’ve got nothing to hide, but I’ve got nothing to share either.
W
Wonderer
Jan 14, 2008
"JimmyG" wrote in
news:EGE9j.47257$:

I am having the same problem however if you change the color space in CS3 to something other than Adobe RGB 1998 it will still allow you to open edit and save the file however it is extrememly annoying. I have a new Nikon D300 and I am running Vista 32bit on a new computer. I would appreciate some inteligent input also.

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections