N
Posted By
nytrashman7618
Feb 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
starting yesterday or the day before when i am working on an image approx 2 or 3 times during the processing i will get a message that says the file is locked. i just click ok and continue working on my image. i don’t understand why this is happening. i deleted the preferances but that did not solve the problem. the file can not be locked as after i click on ok i just keep on working like before. it is very annoying while processing an image to keep seeing this "file is locked" pop up. any idea what is going on or how i can stop it???

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JW
JP White
Feb 22, 2004
George S. Forman wrote:

starting yesterday or the day before when i am working on an image
approx 2 or 3 times during the processing i will get a message that says the file is locked. i just click ok and continue working on my image. i don’t understand why this is happening. i deleted the preferances but that did not solve the problem. the file can not be locked as after i click on ok i just keep on working like before. it is very annoying while processing an image to keep seeing this "file is locked" pop up. any idea what is going on or how i can stop it???

Try closing windows explorer if you have it open. It maybe locking the file.

JP
TX
tom_xxx
Feb 23, 2004
Attrubute is probably set on "read only". Right click on image file, choose PROPERTIES. Check which windows are checked. UNCHECK "READ ONLY" I think this will fix your problem. If this is the problem, you will find all of the corrections you made were not saved. Image will be as before.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 23, 2004
I often leave my originals locked so I won’t make the mistake of overwriting them; forces me to Save As and give them alternate names.
AP
amie_park
Feb 25, 2004
I think this is the same issue listed in the FAQ. I’ve copied the message here: Topic
"File is locked" message when running Elements 2.0 in OS X as a user.

Mark Hiers – 02:58pm Aug 26, 2002 Pacific

Issue:

When a user without admin rights launches Photoshop Elements 2.0 on Mac OS X, they may receive the following error…

"Could not initialize Photoshop Elements because the file is locked. Use the ‘Get Info’ command in the Finder to unlock the file"

Details:
Permissions on some items in the Previews/Cache folder is set to Read only for Group and Everyone. Elements needs to write to the cache files in these folders, but can’t, hence the error message.

Solution:
Quit Elements. Get Info on the Previews folder within the Elements folder, choose Privileges from the drop down list, make sure everything is set to Read & Write, then click Apply. Start Elements

Additional related issue:
The user may be able to launch Elements sucesssfully, but at regular intervals will be prompted with: "Could not complete our request because the file is locked. Use the ‘Get Info’ command in the Finder to unlock the file" The solution above will fix this problem as well.
PP
Paul_Pasco
Feb 26, 2004
Hello, I’m new to this forum. Been using PSE 2 for over a year on my eMac. I’m having the same "file locked" problem that some others are having. There doesn’t seem to be any consistency to it either except that it usually happens a couple of times within minutes of opening Elements and clicking o.k. each time takes care of it… usually. Yesterday my wife had been working on a nice collage and got the file locked message and had to go back and redo it. I’ve tried the solutions from Mark Heiers as copied by Amie Park in this thread but I still have the problem, very annoying. Any other ideas?
Thanks, Paul
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Feb 26, 2004
Do you run "repair permissions" on a regular basis?
PP
Paul_Pasco
Feb 26, 2004
Yes I do, plus mac janitor on occasion. Also should have mentioned that problem first showed up after doing an archive install of OSX.
Paul.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Feb 27, 2004
Does this only happen in PE? If so, did you delete prefs with the keystrokes or did you track them down and manually delete them? Did you get both com. adobe.photoshop.elements.plist and the Adobe preferences folder? You don’t have systemworks or disk doctor installed, do you?
PP
Paul_Pasco
Feb 29, 2004
I went back into the PSE application folders and dug deeper to the end of the cache, effects and filters files in the Previews folder. I changed all of the settings to read and write and viola! the problem is gone. Thank you all for the direction and advice.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections