F
Posted By
Frank
Dec 14, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My system: Pentium D 940, 2GB Ram, 2 x 320 GB Hard drives, Intel GMA 950 graphics integrated with motherboard. Are the integrated graphics sufficient for Photoshop Elements, or should I get a video card? If I need a card, which one(s) would you recommend? Thanks.
Frank

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
catfish
Dec 15, 2006
one simple answer – give it a try with your integrated video. If you are happy with the results, then worry no more.

"Frank" wrote:
My system: Pentium D 940, 2GB Ram, 2 x 320 GB Hard drives, Intel GMA 950 graphics integrated with motherboard. Are the integrated graphics sufficient for Photoshop Elements, or should I get a video card? If I need a card, which one(s) would you recommend? Thanks.
Frank
RG
Roy G
Dec 15, 2006
"Frank" wrote in message
Frank

Hi.

The integrated graphics card will do the job perfectly well for Elements and even for full Photoshop.

The type or size of Graphics Cards is not critical to Photoshop. Those who are very exacting about their Photoshop systems, claim that Matrox Cards are best.

Until very recently I was using a 32Mb graphics card, as my main video card, without any problem. (I don’t think such small cards are still on the market).

The only problem could be when you are working with very large files, and if it uses a share of the system RAM, then it might, (MIGHT), cause the system to slow. If it does then increase the system RAM to 3 or 4 Gig, which will give an overall improvement.

Fast Graphic Cards are really only needed for Gaming.

Roy G
F
Fishface
Dec 15, 2006
Roy G wrote:

The only problem could be when you are working with very large files, and if it uses a share of the system RAM, then it might, (MIGHT), cause the system to slow. If it does then increase the system RAM to 3 or 4 Gig, which will give an overall improvement.

Interesting read on usage of over 2GB on Windows operating systems: www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.msp x

Fast Graphic Cards are really only needed for Gaming.

Photoshop Elements 5 requires a "DirectX 9 compatible video driver." I guess my old Matrox G400 doesn’t qualify.

Many Video Editing applications can take advantage of advanced video capabilities, as well. Premiere requirements lists "Adobe-recommended graphics card for GPU-accelerated playback." Link to those: www.adobe.com/products/premiere/dvhdwrdb.html
PK
peter k
Jan 7, 2007
think you will have to change your motherboard to fit new video card. get 256 mb radeon series card
"Frank" wrote in message
Frank

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections