Buying a new video card tomorrow..suggestions?

M
Posted By
Monica
Jan 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My current card about dead. I’m looking for a new one tomorrow. I don’t do games. I do a lot of photography work in PSE. 3D is not important to me. I’d like 64mb, needs to fit a 2x slot. ATI Radeon is a card that some have suggested. For intense 2D graphic work, which one would you recommend. Don’t need all the TV features either. I’m running a PIII 700 with 768 megs of ram.
Thanks,
Monica

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
PJMan
Jan 22, 2004
I suggest a card from Matrox.

"Trent" wrote in message
My current card about dead. I’m looking for a new one tomorrow. I don’t do games. I do a lot of photography work in PSE. 3D is not important to me. I’d like 64mb, needs to fit a 2x slot. ATI Radeon is a card that some have suggested. For intense 2D graphic work, which one would you recommend. Don’t need all the TV features either. I’m running a PIII 700 with 768 megs of ram.
Thanks,
Monica

J
Jim
Jan 22, 2004
Nearly any card that fits your computer will be more than adequate for 2d work. You pay extra money to support 3d games.

ATI or Matrox are usually suggested. I would avoid cards that use shared memory because that might cause problems with the large images that PS generates.
Jim
"Trent" wrote in message
My current card about dead. I’m looking for a new one tomorrow. I don’t
do
games. I do a lot of photography work in PSE. 3D is not important to me. I’d like 64mb, needs to fit a 2x slot. ATI Radeon is a card that some
have
suggested. For intense 2D graphic work, which one would you recommend. Don’t need all the TV features either. I’m running a PIII 700 with 768 megs of ram.
Thanks,
Monica

H
Hecate
Jan 23, 2004
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 23:43:04 -0600, "Trent" wrote:

Thanks,
Monica
Matrox G550 or ATi Radeon, anything from the 7500 upwards to the 9600.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
-xiray-
Jan 23, 2004
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:53:14 GMT, "Jim" wrote:

I would avoid cards that use shared
memory because that might cause problems

What card uses shared memory? I don’t believe that I’ve ever seen one of those.
H
Hecate
Jan 24, 2004
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 21:59:56 GMT, -xiray- wrote:

Quite a few of the older cards used to. They’d claim they were, say 32Mb cards, but usually at least 24Mb of that was from system RAM.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
DL
Donald Link
Jan 24, 2004
ONLY SHARED memory is the Motherboard integrated video. Expansion cards DO NOT share memory. They have their own.

"-xiray-" wrote in message

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections