A
Posted By
adykes
Jul 1, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
For photoshop work, is there any reason to avoid the on-board video that comes with a modern motherboard?

No 3D, no games on this PC.

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
Don’t blame me. I voted for Gore. A Proud signature since 2001

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

T
Tacit
Jul 1, 2007
In article <f68c3o$r1p$ (Al Dykes)
wrote:

For photoshop work, is there any reason to avoid the on-board video that comes with a modern motherboard?

No. Photoshop, with the exception of the limited 3D stuff introduced in CS3, is a strictly 2D image manipulation program. It does not use and does not benefit from the accelerated 3D functions in a high-end video card.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
MR
Mike Russell
Jul 1, 2007
"Al Dykes" wrote in message

Probably not, but it’s possible you would see a slight performance improvement with a separate card. If the video controller maps main memory, as opposed to having its own storage, then you may see significant benefit in terms of memory available for Photoshop, and increased memory bandwidth. —
Mike Russell – www.curvemeister.com
RG
Roy G
Jul 2, 2007
"Al Dykes" wrote in message

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
Don’t blame me. I voted for Gore. A Proud signature since 2001

Hi.

Not quite as straightforward a question as it may seem.

The answer is as usual, "It all depends".

In this case it depends on the amount of RAM on the system.

The Video Card might be "Sharing" this RAM, and if there is not all that much, then the card usage could be slowing the system down.

The simplest answer is probably to install more RAM. With Photoshop you can never have too much, but there are top limits depending on the Operating System.

I have 3 Gigs of DDR 2 on my Win XP machine, and PS still brings the Scratch Disc into use while editing large files.

Roy G
AM
Andrew Morton
Jul 2, 2007
Al Dykes wrote:

Try it and see.

On one PC, after upgrading from PS CS to PS CS2 on a PC with a 32MB TNT2 video card (OK, laugh if you want :-), the menus in CS2 were crippled speed-wise. Upgrading to a 128MB FX5200-based card made it work properly, with the added bonus of being able to use two monitors.

Andrew
MS
Malcolm Smith
Jul 11, 2007
Absolute top line video cards are not needed for photoshop as they are optimised to 3D games etc.

For photoshop a mid range seperate card (ie with non shared RAM) is very desirable – I would recommend 256MB of its own dedicated video ram.

Malcolm

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections