Ques. need video card to use photoshop??

J
Posted By
jaSPAMc
Sep 6, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 09:11:35 -0500, Clyde found these
unused words floating about:

frank wrote:
To All
Do I need a video card to manipulate photos with Photoshop 7? I am looking at refurbished Dell laptops and would rather spend money on RAM if I can. If someone is more tech knowledgeable please advise me as to what I need on a laptop to use PS7. This is for occasional use when I am commuting.
thanks Frank

No, you do not need a video card for Photoshop up through CS. Well, you need some kind of video card to run your monitor, but the integrated one on most motherboards today will work just fine.

Most video cards are designed to drive 3D graphics at high speeds with lots of detail. Games are the real need for these. Photoshop and other 2D graphics will make no use of that fancy 3D processing.
Then along comes CS2… Adobe obviously redesigned the video processing of CS2. Now they recommend that you have a video card with 128MB of memory or more. We aren’t quite sure why, but it really does seem to help in the speed and stability of running Photoshop CS2. Luckily 128MB and 256MB video cards are pretty darn cheap today.

I do wonder if CS2 is using the video processor in any significant way or if it just needs that memory.
A lot of comuters, particularily Dull, HPiss, Comfact SHARE memory from the main processor’s supply over to the ON BOARD ‘video’. QED, less available for processing and manipulation.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

F
frank
Sep 7, 2005
To All
Do I need a video card to manipulate photos with Photoshop 7? I am looking at refurbished Dell laptops and would rather spend money on RAM if I can. If someone is more tech knowledgeable please advise me as to what I need on a laptop to use PS7. This is for occasional use when I am commuting.
thanks Frank
K
Kingdom
Sep 7, 2005
"frank" wrote in news:1126097700.820559.195050 @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

To All
thanks Frank

No, any resonable computer will do. ram is good, HD space is good, procesor speed is good.

f=Ma well, nearly…
C
Clyde
Sep 7, 2005
frank wrote:
To All
thanks Frank

No, you do not need a video card for Photoshop up through CS. Well, you need some kind of video card to run your monitor, but the integrated one on most motherboards today will work just fine.

Most video cards are designed to drive 3D graphics at high speeds with lots of detail. Games are the real need for these. Photoshop and other 2D graphics will make no use of that fancy 3D processing.

Then along comes CS2… Adobe obviously redesigned the video processing of CS2. Now they recommend that you have a video card with 128MB of memory or more. We aren’t quite sure why, but it really does seem to help in the speed and stability of running Photoshop CS2. Luckily 128MB and 256MB video cards are pretty darn cheap today.

I do wonder if CS2 is using the video processor in any significant way or if it just needs that memory.

Clyde
E
edjh
Sep 7, 2005
frank wrote:
To All
thanks Frank
Buy the RAM. Special video card will do no good at all for Photoshop.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
H
Hecate
Sep 7, 2005
On 7 Sep 2005 05:55:00 -0700, "frank" wrote:

To All
Do I need a video card to manipulate photos with Photoshop 7?

Well, if you don’t have a video card you might have a problem getting an image on your screen… 🙂

Seriously, all you need is something that does 2D at reasonable speed. As long as you’re not wanting to do any 3D manipulation, or play any games, most cards are fine. Just don’t rely on video built into motherboards because most of them eat your RAM.

I am
looking at refurbished Dell laptops and would rather spend money on RAM if I can. If someone is more tech knowledgeable please advise me as to what I need on a laptop to use PS7. This is for occasional use when I am commuting.
thanks Frank

As much RAM as you can get, a reasonable processor (if you’re buying from Dell that unfortunately means an Intel, so look for a Pentium M – though they’re speeds look slower they’re much more efficient that a Pentium 4) and get a reasonable sized hard disk (which will be your main problem as laptop hard disks tend to be small. And one other thing, having a laptop means you’re relying on a (mainly) cheapish TFT screen so don’t expect to get accurate colour.

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
DL
Donald Link
Sep 8, 2005

To All
thanks Frank

Your confused. How about the people reading your request since you failed to present the the most basic information of what the hardware is that you are looking at. Geez!
S
SCRUFF
Sep 8, 2005
"Donald Link" wrote in message

To All
thanks Frank

Your confused. How about the people reading your request since you failed to present the the most basic information of what the hardware is that you are looking at. Geez!

Well whatever you do don’t politely ask him to elaborate on his question or anything.
Just be a sarcastic asshole. Especially coming from someone who doesn’t know the difference between
"your" and "you’re. Geez.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections