Posted By
Alan
Feb 4, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Any one help a newbie please…
Trying to install PE 4 onto a new Dell PC… When I click onto the shortcut it tells me it cannot find Photoshop Elements 4.0. exe. Even though I have just loaded the software .
Same when I go via the Start menu. I have seached the Adobe folders in Program files and I still cannot find .exe. Not even on the disk itself. Can somebody point me in the right direction please.
Thanks
Alan

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JM
Joseph Meehan
Feb 4, 2006
Alan wrote:
Trying to install PE 4 onto a new Dell PC… When I click onto the shortcut it tells me it cannot find Photoshop Elements 4.0. exe. Even though I have just loaded the software .
Same when I go via the Start menu. I have seached the Adobe folders in Program files and I still cannot find .exe. Not even on the disk itself. Can somebody point me in the right direction please. .
Thanks
Alan

"Even though I have just loaded the software ."

Could you explain exactly what you did to install the program?

BTW Most disk do not have the same files that are installed but rather compressed groups of files so it would not be likely you would find the exe file that should be on your computer on the install disk.

Also are you logged onto the computers as the same user as you were when you loaded the software?

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
A
Alan
Feb 4, 2006
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Alan wrote:
Same when I go via the Start menu. I have seached the Adobe folders in Program files and I still cannot find .exe. Not even on the disk itself. Can somebody point me in the right direction please. .
Thanks
Alan

BTW Most disk do not have the same files that are installed but rather compressed groups of files so it would not be likely you would find the exe file that should be on your computer on the install disk.
Also are you logged onto the computers as the same user as you were when you loaded the software?

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Thanks for reply..
PE4 disk auto run. It went through the installation. Come up with all installed. It left a shortcut on the desktop:-
When I D/C the icon it says ‘The item Photoshop Elements 4.0.exe’ that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly.
I then get a Yes or No if I want to delete the shortcut. If I go in the Start menu and click PE4 again , I get the same message. As regards logging on.. I only have the one user, myself. I dont remember changing anything I shouldnt.
Regards
JM
Joseph Meehan
Feb 4, 2006
Alan wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Alan wrote:
Thanks
Alan

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Thanks for reply..
PE4 disk auto run. It went through the installation. Come up with all installed. It left a shortcut on the desktop:-
When I D/C the icon it says ‘The item Photoshop Elements 4.0.exe’ that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly.
I then get a Yes or No if I want to delete the shortcut. If I go in the Start menu and click PE4 again , I get the same message. As regards logging on.. I only have the one user, myself. I dont remember changing anything I shouldnt.
Regards

Take a look in your control panel and the install – remove programs. If a an entry is there to remove Elements, try removing it. If that works try a new install.

If you don’t have an entry, try a new install from the original disk.

Good Luck

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
A
Alan
Feb 4, 2006
"Alan wrote:
Thanks
Alan

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Thanks for reply..
Regards

Take a look in your control panel and the install – remove programs. If a an entry is there to remove Elements, try removing it. If that works try a new install.

Good Luck

Joseph Meehan
Thanks Joseph..
I had already tried uninstall/reinstall about 4 times from the Control Panel before I sought help from N/G.
Regards
JM
Joseph Meehan
Feb 4, 2006
Alan wrote:
"Alan wrote:
Thanks
Alan

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Thanks for reply..
Regards

Good Luck

Joseph Meehan
Thanks Joseph..
I had already tried uninstall/reinstall about 4 times from the Control Panel before I sought help from N/G.
Regards

Sorry I am out of ideas other than to contact Adobe.

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
M
MJG
Feb 5, 2006
Alan wrote:
Same when I go via the Start menu. I have seached the Adobe folders in Program files and I still cannot find .exe. Not even on the disk itself. Can somebody point me in the right direction please.
Thanks
Alan
When you right click the shortcut and go to properties what does it say the target is?

MJG

(Take THEDOG out to email me)
P
Pogo
Feb 5, 2006
huh?
"MJG" wrote in message
Alan wrote:
Same when I go via the Start menu. I have seached the Adobe folders in Program files and I still cannot find .exe. Not even on the disk itself.
Can somebody point me in the right direction please.
Thanks
Alan
When you right click the shortcut and go to properties what does it say the target is?

MJG

M
MJG
Feb 5, 2006
Pogo wrote:
huh?
Welcome to my kill file troll –
M
MJG
Feb 5, 2006
Pogo wrote:
huh?

Which part of:-

Do you not understand

MJG

A
Alan
Feb 6, 2006
"MJG" wrote in message
Alan wrote:
Same when I go via the Start menu. I have seached the Adobe folders in Program files and I still cannot find .exe. Not even on the disk itself.
Can somebody point me in the right direction please.
Thanks
Alan

MJG

Right click on shortcut fetches…

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 4.0\Photoshop Elements 4.0.exe" When I click on the link I get ..
The item "Photoshop Elements 4.0. exe’ that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved,
so this shortcut will not work properly.
Nearest match based on size, date, and type:
C:\program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader…\acroaum.exe Do you want this shortcut to point to this target or do you just want to delete it?

Have tried uninstalling Acrobat then re-install PE4 still no joy. I will see if I can contact Adobe later in the day.
Alan
B
Boskey
Feb 6, 2006

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 4.0\Photoshop Elements 4.0.exe" When I click on the link I get ..
The item "Photoshop Elements 4.0. exe’ that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved,
C:\program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader…\acroaum.exe Do you want this shortcut to point to this target or do you just want to delete it?

Have tried uninstalling Acrobat then re-install PE4 still no joy. I will see if I can contact Adobe later in the day.
Alan
Alan, there are several ways to correct the problem, try these steps.

Go to the folder where PSE4 is installed, click on the .exe file to make sure Elements will open. If it doesn’t, a uninstall and deletion of the folder will be necessary. If it does, close Elements, go back to the folder and rt-click on the .exe and a menu will appear. Scroll down to ‘send to’ and one of the selections will be ‘Desktop (create shortcut)’. This will install a new shortcut on your desktop. Delete the old shortcut. You can rename the new one if you wish.

Now if the shortcut in the Start/All Programs listing is wrong as well, there are a couple of ways to correct the problem. The easiest would be to copy the destination from the newly created desktop icon and paste it into the All Programs shortcut. Rt-click the desktop icon, go to properties, and copy the target location. Then rt-click on the All Programs shortcut, properties, then paste to the target box.
M
MJG
Feb 6, 2006
Alan wrote:

Alan

Obviously the shortcut is expecting the .exe file to be there but it isn’t, at least from what you said earlier it is not. I assume you have done a full search of all your hard disk for the exe file just to make sure it is not lurking somewhere else (not that it should be – the installer should install to the PE 4 directory.

When you uninstalled did you also follow this up by manually deleting every thing in the folder the PE 4 installed to and the folder itself??

Even better and if you know (safely) how to delete all references to PE4 in the registry i.e. take your PC right back to the time immediately before you installed for the first time try that too.

It sounds like the installer is somehow being tricked into thinking the exe file does not requiring installing so doing a full clean install as above from scratch may solve this.

I’ve done a search of Adobe’s web based support at

http://www.adobe.com/support/main.html

but I can’t find reference to the same issue you are having so it cannot be a widespread problem.

MJG

A
Alan
Feb 6, 2006

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 4.0\Photoshop Elements
4.0.exe"
When I click on the link I get ..

Alan
Alan, there are several ways to correct the problem, try these steps.
Go to the folder where PSE4 is installed, click on the .exe file to make sure Elements will open. If it doesn’t, a uninstall and deletion of the folder will be necessary. If it does, close Elements, go back to the folder and rt-click on the .exe and a menu will appear. Scroll down to ‘send to’ and one of the selections will be ‘Desktop (create shortcut)’. This will install a new shortcut on your desktop. Delete the old shortcut. You can rename the new one if you wish.

Now if the shortcut in the Start/All Programs listing is wrong as well, there are a couple of ways to correct the problem. The easiest would be to copy the destination from the newly created desktop icon and paste it into the All Programs shortcut. Rt-click the desktop icon, go to properties, and copy the target location. Then rt-click on the All Programs shortcut, properties, then paste to the target box.

Thanks Jimmy.. Spoke to Adobe today they sent me a 8 page list of how to get round problem, one of them was the same as above. Its now copying the .exe file into the new folder but everytime I click on it
it just comes up with the repair/uninstall screen again. I have clicked everything else and it will not open the package. They are off the opinon it may well be a conflict with the PC itself.
Alan
A
Alan
Feb 6, 2006
"MJG" wrote in message
Alan wrote:

4.0.exe"

Alan

Obviously the shortcut is expecting the .exe file to be there but it isn’t, at least from what you said earlier it is not. I assume you have done a full search of all your hard disk for the exe file just to make sure it is not lurking somewhere else (not that it should be – the installer should install to the PE 4 directory.

When you uninstalled did you also follow this up by manually deleting every thing in the folder the PE 4 installed to and the folder itself??
Have been though everything and deleted, this was also what Adobe said I should do.

Even better and if you know (safely) how to delete all references to PE4 in the registry i.e. take your PC right back to the time immediately before you installed for the first time try that too.

Havnt touched the registry, I dont trust myself on that one.

It sounds like the installer is somehow being tricked into thinking the exe file does not requiring installing so doing a full clean install as above from scratch may solve this.

Seeing the PC is about a week old now and its a Dell. I may well do a complete re-install to what it was when it left the factory. That way it should get rid of any gremlins, if indeed any exist.

but I can’t find reference to the same issue you are having so it cannot be a widespread problem.
Adobe sent 8 pages of trying several things, although nothing exact as to what I have. I tried them all. The last resort on the sheet is to update video drivers and SCSI controllers.
I think starting with a clean slate will be easier.
Thanks You for your input.
Alan
BF
Buz Fuller
Feb 6, 2006
Did you try a file search? To find if in fact the file exists.

MJG wrote:
Alan wrote:

4.0.exe"

Alan

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections