ME
Posted By
me_emused
Nov 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I reformatted my PC. Started the process of loading my software. I’ve had Photoshop forever, purchased. So I loaded my Photoshop 4.0, went to load my 5.5 version which I like the best as I’ve used it for so long, never upgraded forward from that version, and the CD drive made a weird sound, I took the Install CD out, and it is cracked from the inside out about 1 inch. After researching the net about DON’T PUT A DAMAGED CD INTO YOUR CDROM!!! I was stuck, couldn’t load 5.5 so I emailed Adobe with my problem and my serial number. They told me they don’t support older versions and I could visit their store to purchase the new version CS upgrade. Well, that isn’t an option (pricing). I’ve searched Ebay for 5.5 but worry about buying 5.5 from there. Does anyone know a legal way I could get Photoshop 5.5 ugrade CD? Or do I need to join the 21st century and empty my bank account to purchase CS version. Thanks, Susie

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

K
Kate
Nov 8, 2006
Sorry to hear that Adobe is treating you like this. Doesn’t encourage much cuctomer loyalty.
On the other hand, have a look on Ebay
http://tinyurl.com/wptyp

You will likely find something that will work and within your budget too.

Kate

"me_emused" wrote in message
I reformatted my PC. Started the process of loading my software. I’ve had Photoshop forever, purchased. So I loaded my Photoshop 4.0, went to load my 5.5 version which I like the best as I’ve used it for so long, never upgraded forward from that version, and the CD drive made a weird sound, I took the Install CD out, and it is cracked from the inside out about 1 inch. After researching the net about DON’T PUT A DAMAGED CD INTO YOUR CDROM!!! I was stuck, couldn’t load 5.5 so I emailed Adobe with my problem and my serial number. They told me they don’t support older versions and I could visit their store to purchase the new version CS upgrade. Well, that isn’t an option (pricing). I’ve searched Ebay for 5.5 but worry about buying 5.5 from there. Does anyone know a legal way I could get Photoshop 5.5 ugrade CD? Or do I need to join the 21st century and empty my bank account to purchase CS version. Thanks, Susie
R
Rob
Nov 8, 2006
Kate wrote:
Sorry to hear that Adobe is treating you like this. Doesn’t encourage much cuctomer loyalty.
On the other hand, have a look on Ebay
http://tinyurl.com/wptyp

You will likely find something that will work and within your budget too.
Kate

We throw a heap out as they no longer were applicable for our computers.

Someone must still have an old copy or are there any warez sites that have old copies of PS still up. If you still have the original disk and your serial – shouldn’t see any problem getting a copy.

I still have copies of 6.0 and 7.0 which we no longer use. I think they were kept because of the upgrade requirements.
K
Kate
Nov 8, 2006
"Rob" wrote
We throw a heap out as they no longer were applicable for our computers.
Someone must still have an old copy or are there any warez sites that have old copies of PS still up. If you still have the original disk and your serial – shouldn’t see any problem getting a copy.

I still have copies of 6.0 and 7.0 which we no longer use. I think they were kept because of the upgrade requirements.

That’s why I kept a couple of my older versions.
D
Dave
Nov 8, 2006
On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 06:54:00 -0600, "Kate"
wrote:

"Rob"
I think they were kept because of the upgrade requirements.

Kate

Dave
But that’s not why Susie cracked her program

Dave
JC
Jimmy Chancey
Nov 9, 2006
Or do I
need to join the 21st century and empty my bank account to purchase CS version. Thanks, Susie
Why not do install Photoshop CS2 upgrade since it will not empty you bank account like the full version does? I believe you need the older version installed, the older version CD, or the older version serial numbers to install CS2. I would hang on to the older PS products should there be any future questions about your upgrade path. Take a look at the information on this site, http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshop/a/upgradetips.htm
MR
Mike Russell
Nov 9, 2006
"Jimmy" wrote in message
Or do I
need to join the 21st century and empty my bank account to purchase CS version. Thanks, Susie
Why not do install Photoshop CS2 upgrade since it will not empty you bank account like the full version does? I believe you need the older version installed, the older version CD, or the older version serial numbers to install CS2. I would hang on to the older PS products should there be any future questions about your upgrade path. Take a look at the information on this site,
http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshop/a/upgradetips.htm

This is not really a solution because she would still need the 5.5 CD to validate the upgrade installation.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/
R
Rob
Nov 9, 2006
Dave wrote:
wrote:

"Rob"

Kate

Dave

Dave

If you had not snipped the guts of the post it may have some meaning.
JC
Jimmy Chancey
Nov 9, 2006
This is not really a solution because she would still need the 5.5 CD to validate the upgrade installation.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/
The article mentions."If you cannot locate the CD from your previous version, you will have to call Adobe to have them walk you through the unlock procedure (have your serial number ready). For upgrades to version
7.0 and later, prior serial numbers will no longer work. You will need to
use the new 24-digit serial number provided in your upgrade package. For upgrades from very old versions (4.0 and earlier), you will need to contact Adobe technical support at 800-685-3658."
D
Dave
Nov 9, 2006
On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 14:00:21 +1100, Rob wrote:

Dave wrote:
wrote:

"Rob"

Kate

Dave

Dave

True, but this joke is between Susie, Kate, you, myself and everybody that followed the thread. Never mind excuses, it is like you said.

Dave
K
Kate
Nov 9, 2006
"Rob" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
wrote:

"Rob"

Kate

Dave

Dave

It made perfect sense, if you had read betweent he lines.
S
Stewy
Nov 10, 2006
In article <74O4h.9198$>,
"Kate" wrote:

"Rob" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
wrote:

"Rob"

Kate

Dave

Dave

I have an unused copy of Photoshop 7 (unused since I got CS). I could give you that if you’ll give me an address to send it to.

What is Adobe’s take on transferring software to others?
R
Rob
Nov 10, 2006
Stewy wrote:
In article <74O4h.9198$>,
"Kate" wrote:

"Rob" wrote in message

Dave wrote:

wrote:

"Rob"

Kate

Dave

Dave

I have an unused copy of Photoshop 7 (unused since I got CS). I could give you that if you’ll give me an address to send it to.
What is Adobe’s take on transferring software to others?

That’s what I was eluding to – someone must have some old PS copies around to give away – which have become redundant.
TT
Tom Thomas
Nov 10, 2006
Rob wrote:

That’s what I was eluding to – someone must have some old PS copies around to give away – which have become redundant.

If you used the previous version as the basis for an upgrade to a newer version you can’t just give away or transfer the old copy. In order to transfer the license for the old version it would require that you actually purchased a full copy of the newer one … not an upgrade. Adobe’s web site has all the necessary information for anyone interested in complying with the license agreement.

——————
Tom

Unsolicited advertisements cheerfully ignored.
LO
Luis ORTEGA
Nov 12, 2006
I have seen several scanners that came with a free copy of PS5.5 over the years.
Why not try PS Elements if price is a problem? I imagine it is at least as good as 5.5 was.

ME
me_emused
Nov 12, 2006
See, I PURCHASED PHOTOSHOP 4.0, the I purchased the 5.5 upgade. I like the 5.5 version because I can use my Extensis Photo Tools, Intellihance, etc. with it, which I can’t use with newer versions. So, for me, 5.5 was perfect, does exactly what I wanted. However, even with a legitimate serial number, etc. Adobe doesn’t provide support for older versions, I can see why, with so many versions coming and going. However, I’m am not going to pay for upgrade to CS because Extensis Photo Tools and Extensis Photo Graphics which I ALSO purchased works no further than the photoshop 5.5 version. I think I am going to take one person’s advice, see if there are any local photoshop groups in my area or college and talk to them about getting the install disk…show them my serial number and that I am a legitimate PURCHASER of Photoshop 🙂 Thank you all for your help though. I keep all my older software CD’s just in case, and that case happened, unfortunately, this split in the install CD squashed me loading my favorite version. I’ll find it somewhere…someday! Thanks everyone!!! Susie

Luis Ortega wrote:
I have seen several scanners that came with a free copy of PS5.5 over the years.
Why not try PS Elements if price is a problem? I imagine it is at least as good as 5.5 was.

J
JC Dill
Nov 12, 2006
On 7 Nov 2006 13:40:13 -0800, "me_emused"
wrote:

. Does
anyone know a legal way I could get Photoshop 5.5 ugrade CD? Or do I need to join the 21st century and empty my bank account to purchase CS version. Thanks, Susie

Windows or Mac?

< http://cgi.ebay.com/Adobe-Photoshop-5-5-Education-Version-fo r-Windows_W0QQitemZ130046846887QQihZ003QQcategoryZ86732QQssP ageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

< http://cgi.ebay.com/Adobe-Photoshop-5-5-for-Macintosh-Upgrad e-New-in-box_W0QQitemZ230046567698QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3796QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

Since you have a valid license for your broken 5.5 CD, you can legally make a copy of a 5.5 CD (a "backup copy" for the copy you legally own) to use with your key, and then sell the original with its own key on to someone else.

jc

"The nice thing about a mare is you get to ride a lot of different horses without having to own that many." ~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare’s Nest, PA
K
krash
Nov 12, 2006
you could always look on limewire… you will probly find a version there… kk

See, I PURCHASED PHOTOSHOP 4.0, the I purchased the 5.5 upgade. I like the 5.5 version because I can use my Extensis Photo Tools, Intellihance, etc. with it, which I can’t use with newer versions. So, for me, 5.5 was perfect, does exactly what I wanted. However, even with a legitimate serial number, etc. Adobe doesn’t provide support for older versions, I can see why, with so many versions coming and going. However, I’m am not going to pay for upgrade to CS because Extensis Photo Tools and Extensis Photo Graphics which I ALSO purchased works no further than the photoshop 5.5 version. I think I am going to take one person’s advice, see if there are any local photoshop groups in my area or college and talk to them about getting the install disk…show them my serial number and that I am a legitimate PURCHASER of Photoshop 🙂 Thank you all for your help though. I keep all my older software CD’s just in case, and that case happened, unfortunately, this split in the install CD squashed me loading my favorite version. I’ll find it somewhere…someday! Thanks everyone!!! Susie

Luis Ortega wrote:
Why not try PS Elements if price is a problem? I imagine it is at least as
good as 5.5 was.

G
getloozegraphix
Nov 16, 2006
me_emused wrote:

Well I have a CD of the newest version (CS2) if you would like to have that because I have about 3 copies of it. About that…you should of made copies of your disc too, so things like that won’t bite you back. It always happens to me, so that’s why I made 3 copies of it lol. but anyway, since this is a new version i dont think your serial code will work, but atlease you will have a nice little 30-day trial with it. =]

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections